Compiling the Offline Help Manual

Started by Harbinger, June 27, 2009, 03:14:21

Previous topic - Next topic

maleek

Multiple formats is always an option. One format for the "in program" help file. And one format (pdf?) for off program purposes.

Saga Musix

You don't really want to do this manually, do you...?
For plans like this, you need a good program to start with.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

To be honest, I think that the best option would be LaTeX. It's got probably the simplest syntax of all the text-based formats (HTML, bbCode, Wiki, etc), produces beautiful output, and is universally usable.

Saga Musix

Oh sure, LaTeX is great. Now let's convince Harbinger to learn LaTeX! ;D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

Is there not some way to convert from Word?  Its only data...

Saga Musix

It's only data that Microsoft doesn't want to be edited in non-M$ products. Therefore, it's just as cryptic as possible. :P

uncloned

But nonM$ programs like open office can access the data. Once there you have no M$ limitations, no?

uncloned

if a Word to RTF to LaTex converter doesn't exist it would seem to need to, no?

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"To be honest, I think that the best option would be LaTeX.
You must be kidding :)

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"To be honest, I think that the best option would be LaTeX.
You must be kidding :)

Why? LaTeX is a beautiful piece of software. At Uni, I wrote all of my honours year assignments in CS using it. :)

residentgrey

IF you are going to write it on a 'word' type program, try open office or some other program that has pdf export like abiword. You can use a program like Wikidpad to your benefit as well. CHM is a good option too. A program called KeyNote may be good for you as well.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

uncloned

I think the issue is that Harbinger doesn't want to learn a new program - considering he's doing the work we probably would be wise to accommodate him somehow. IMHO anyway

residentgrey

IF the wiki can export in HTML I can get the CHM created. Or one of these other fine people can as well.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Sam_Zen

An excellent initiative, Harbinger !

Having connection or not, I far prefer to have off-line services like a help file.
And the proposed outline is a very thorough thinking..

I don't mind much about the ways to compile the data into a destination. Several tools are possible.
If you prefer to get the base material from a clumsy Word construction, fine by me.

I think more about the different kinds of output :
1. CHM - the current default replacement for the ole *.hlp
2. PDF - need an external reader installed.
3. HTML - could be offline used with the browser

QuoteThe guide will be image-rich!
So an important aspect concerning efficiency, because images take lotsa space.
With a PDF they are included, so the file gets big.
With HTML the bitmaps are in a subdir.
I'm not sure about CHM, whether screenshots are included in the file or not.

It's also an item, which format is the easiest to update with new data ?
So it's more smooth to have a package of elements, script-files, visual files, maybe even sound files.
It will be more simple to replace a certain screenshot by a better one, while the rest stays the same.

uncloned

one thing that helps with images is to reduce the number of colors to aid with compression - for something like a guide to a program 256 colors should be ample - the illustrations are akin to a cartoon.