A thorough review of Ableton (music software)

Started by Rxn, April 30, 2009, 23:20:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Rxn

Sorry, does Ableton suck on so many levels that it is just plain sad? Or is it just me?

Sam_Zen

Hmm, a friend of mine mainly works with Ableton as a host for his VST plugins, and is quite enthousiastic about it.

LPChip

I guess, if you're used to a tracker, many sequencers will look like this.

But if you're not that fund of trackers anymore and look for something different, a sequencer may appeal to you.

So I guess it all boils down to this: Its a matter of taste.

EDIT: But I don't consider this review thorough though. You do not even motify why you think it sucks.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

I tried Ableton several times (2 times, actually) because it was said that it is good for live performances. It is good for live performances, but it still did not "snap" for me. So I would say I did not find it too appealing for myself either.

g

Quote from: "Rxn"Sorry, does Ableton suck on so many levels that it is just plain sad? Or is it just me?
It's probably just you.  :wink:

residentgrey

You just got owned by the G-spot! :P

Ableton is a good host from what I was told by the musicians I know. Though Renoise is used way more by them, more versatile.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Louigi Verona

QuoteThough Renoise is used way more by them, more versatile.

I don't think it is more versatile, they just like it more. I know trackers vs. sequencers can be an endless debate, but really neither sequencers nor trackers are "more versatile" as they are. They can be more convenient or versatile for one exact person.

psishock

i've tried Ableton before, it's one of the nicest sequencer hosts, 'had more trouble to understand stuff example with Cubase than with it. It definitely does not sucks, it's perhaps just the matter of taste.
Also i'm wondering, why looking for another host, if already have your favorite, working one? (i assume that you must have, if you're officially working with sounds engineering, right?)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Rxn

The reason for that post was that I spent about ten minutes trying to load
a demo song or at least to find out that there isn't any. When somehow
I finally managed to load something and run it, it didn't sound that bad
actually, although the effects fog up things a lot.

With all the bells and wistles taken off the composing techniques used in
the song seemed to be fairly average. Without the effects the quality of
output was nothing special too. That is the thing I meant about splitting
production\mixing phases --- when people write with tons of effects on is
just a sign of poor composing skills or lack of inspiration. Make it sound
right on its own first, then bother with cake glazing.

On a side note, this argument "trackers vs sequencers" does not make
any sense: tracker is just a type sequencer, same as the piano roll in
Cubase of whatever because what a sequencer does is sequencing notes
what we are essentially doing in a tracker.

Rxn

Quote from: "psishock"Also i'm wondering, why looking for another host, if already have your favorite, working one? (i assume that you must have, if you're officially working with sounds engineering, right?)

Hi psishock,

sound engineer does not deal with composing, musicians do that. To clear
things up, I do not work as a sound engineer (not an easy job to come by
and I don't thing I will ever be doing it for money) but I am an officially
qualified sound man.

When it comes to sound editing I use everything. If I want to mess
around with putting a few notes together (with what I admit I am fairly
average) then yes, MPT would be my platform of choice.

Rxn

Quote from: "residentgrey"Ableton is a good host from what I was told by the musicians I know. Though Renoise is used way more by them, more versatile.

Nah, you just probably know more people who use Renoise than Ableton,
not that more people use Ableton than Renoise. I've heard of Ableton
from many more sources online as well as from people who are familiar
with music composition superficially. Ableton is definitely more mainstream.

psishock

Alright, i'm getting the picture Rxn.

Quote from: "Rxn"Ableton is definitely more mainstream.
Yep, i can confirm that one. Ableton become very mainstream lately, it's almost as popular as the "big ones".
It seems however, that Fruity Loops Studio became definitely the first choice for the average musician, who wants to start, or to play with the music producing profession.

g

"don't judge a sequencer by its demo songs" :)

I haven't actually tried Ableton (no point really considering the price tag), but from the reviews I read it's pretty much the bees knees.

About what techniques one uses while composing, I say to each his own. In many songs the bells and whistles are undoubtly a major part of the composition, and in those cases it would make sense to include them as soon as one can. I don't see anything wrong with that, everyone can't be Rob Hubbard, Prince or Mozart.

About trackers vs. sequencers... Let's be honest about this, the only reason we use trackers is because it's so much cooler.  8)

psishock

Quote from: "g"About trackers vs. sequencers... Let's be honest about this, the only reason we use trackers is because it's so much cooler. 8)
Nicely said, i would only correct, that coolness is one of the many reasons, not the only reason. :wink:

Rxn

Quote"don't judge a sequencer by its demo songs" :)

True. Is it possible to download Ableton songs somewhere? If it is, how
does one load a song into Ableton? Because I think a downloaded few
extra demosongs but just could not find how to get them into the
program.

QuoteAbout trackers vs. sequencers... Let's be honest about this, the only reason we use trackers is because it's so much cooler.  8)

The only real difference between a piano roll and a tracker is that the
piano roll is aimed at those who can play keyboard and the tracker is
intended for step-by-step editing.

That is pretty much all the difference. There is nothing you can do in one
and not in the other.