[experimental/prog. trance] Signal Chain - Nullity (.mp3)

Started by psishock, April 25, 2009, 00:19:52

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

Started as an experiment, but developed, after start, to much more than that. It's somewhat progressive, but kinda enigmatic. I wanted to try a little slower style this time, to make a more relaxing atmosphere. I've played with envelopes, automation and harmonics. Sounds are made with FM8 VSTi (as usual nowdays :D) + the art vista piano for piano... everything glued together with tracker.

Signal Chain - Nullity
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

uncloned

Hi Psi,

Nice relaxing tune. My impression is that this was put through some really heavy limiting / compression?

The sounds are very nice

psishock

tnx for listen! Compression is not an issue here (it was used, but almost not audible), it went through heavy sidechaining, triggered by the kicks, but it was intentional, i like kinda like it that way. This gives that variable, pumping feel.

uncloned

I thought side-chaining was just a split to send part of the signal through another effect.

So... you are using side-chaining like a modulator of another signal?

psishock

sure, and the strength of the kick (decibel) determines the volume drop amount for the routed channels (i haven't used sidechaining for everything globally, if i can remember right).

QuoteI thought side-chaining was just a split to send part of the signal through another effect.
you thought it right, however you are free to use that routed signal for anything else.

uncloned

ok, this could lead to some interesting possibilities.

Is side chaining dependent on the DAW or the VST/VSTi?

psishock

Quoteok, this could lead to some interesting possibilities.
It does. :D It allowed me to do some stuff, that i was unable to make with simple routing example (or i would need to do heavy workarounds).

QuoteIs side chaining dependent on the DAW or the VST/VSTi?
Hmm, well no, its kinda considered as a simple effect, so it can be used basically with anything.

Saga Musix

Quoteok, this could lead to some interesting possibilities.
Oh well, not really. Those possibilities are not interesting anymore since they've been overused for about 10 years now.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

To me, this possibility of amplitude modulation is new, so interesting.
Anyway, flanging is maybe an overused item too, but sometimes interesting nevertheless.

uncloned

I'd like to try my hand at it too.

but not to do the same old same old.

TheEagle

Well, I really like this song but from my point of view, this dominating bassdrum doesn't work here. It disturbs the whole atmosphere that the song could generate. Very pity.
But -as always- it's a matter of taste, of course.

psishock

to TheEagle: Yea, it's not easy to write a piece that 100% appeals to all kind of ears, usually people end up with different versions from 1 song. I'm one of those lazy types that don't. :)

to Jojo: hmm, you can't think like that matey. :) As Sam said, many other stuff can be considered "overused" nowdays. Filters, Unsion, Flanger, Phasers, some Lo-fi effects, etc they are all part of technology which is given to the composer to work with. If 500 people used bass kick on their pieces before the composer, he needs to find another solution to solve the matter, no matter that it would match his idea perfectly? I personally don't like copycat musicians who tries to produce exact same stuff from each other (some people do like them, if a commercial artist archives big success, a lot of ppl starts 100% imitating him), but merely working with a technology, putting it to good use should be just ok for everyone, isn't it?

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Intro sounds like Minimalist Trance! Is there such a thing? And it does seem to sound like a compressor trick, and makes for a very unusual sonic envelope every beat. Completely undanceable once the kick starts slacking off, but it picks back up and we can move again. Development is nice and the melodic progression doesn't let you begin to feel comfortable.

Now that you've done everything, psishock, you are following the path of experimentalism that comes with BTDT Syndrome ("Been There Done That").:wink: