They collide
With every dream

Mrsix wrote the piece
clones added to it

Sam_Zen

Beautiful piece. Nice clear production.
Is that you with the guitar-solo ?

uncloned

Hi Sam, Rob Lewis wrote the piece and I contributed lyrics, vocals, and the guitar solo. I'm glad you like it. I really felt at home playing along Rob's piece.

Nahkranoth

It's really beautiful. But the vocals somehow ruin the whole picture. I was expecting longer instrumental piece, it has drawn my attention from the very first seconds!
(Jeez, I'm sure I made errors somewhere in the sentence. Please point me in right direction :oops: )

uncloned

Hi, thanks for listening and liking it. Could you describe your impression of the vocals?  I know some people simply do not like my voice so please be frank.

Nahkranoth

I was grown on powerful singers (Dio, Eric Adams, Mats Leven, David Coverdale and many others) and I judge everything I hear by these standards, so your vocals is definitely weaker, clones. But its not in the singing, I just wasn't ready for it though the lyrics were written. The atmosphere created so beautiful it does'nt need any lyrics IMO. And I'm a sucker when it comes to beautiful guitar solos and I wanted to prolong the feeling.
Anyway your arrangements are always top notch and I'll wait for another beautiful guitar abuse :D

uncloned

Indeed my voice does not compare to the artists you list. I will point out that the general public expects pop music (in the sense "popular") to have vocals. Very few instrumentals make the charts. This is a fact that condemns "the scene" to obscurity I'm afraid. My point is the preference for instrumentals is a "scene" bias. Instrumentals are more associated with classical.

Now that being said, I don't believe in rules and charts are influenced by money. In this case given the opportunity to add to Rob's work I heard vocals and those words. So that's my bias.

We did have a talented vocalist at So On but he developed a terrible case of tinnitus and stopped making music entirely. (Sam may remember Simian Itch) I'm a make weight I'm afraid. As been my role in all my bands I do what no one else wants to do.

Sam_Zen

Who is Simian Itch ?
Considering the comment by Nahkranoth about the vocals :
I was expecting vocals, because I see the lyrics on my screen (this page) during playback.
Comparing with other singers doesn't give very useful information. Ok, you're worse. So ? Unless you want imitate another, it has no positive aspects how to improve, or get the most out of your own instrument.

So listened again. A weak point in the singing is the part from 1:22 where you change to a higher range a couple of lines.
Wrong choice, I think. Better find another, also more subtle, way to increase the expression.
A bit of chorus on the vocal track just during those lines for example.
"Instrumentals are more associated with classical."
And jazz of course..

Nahkranoth

Gawd, I should delete all those unconstructive vocal critics so we can focus on the music :oops:
I usually write what I think at that very moment. My thoughts are very volatile so now after another listening I can agree that the lyrics do fit here nicely.  It really makes the difference under which circumstances you listen to songs.

uncloned

Don't be concerned about your comments. When I sing on my own stuff or for someone else its only because that is all I or we have, not because I have a good voice. However even nort so great voices can fluruish if the message comes home - say Bob {edit} Dylan{/edit} or Neil Young.

Sam I will listen to find that point. Often I'm told my voice is nasal but when I try chorus effects others object. The fact is I'm not gifted in voice. But keeping in a good register does make sense. I sing between bass and tenor but try to sing tenor and high tenor at that.

uncloned

uncloned

Sam,

Simian is Marc from Australia - here is a co-op we did. I think it will be evident who's voice is who's

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/clones-and-prete-wasted-simian-itch-mix.mp3

His page - but it seems he took all of his music down :-(

http://simian.soonlabel.com/

for comparison here is the original

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/wasted.mp3

bvanoudtshoorn

Not getting involved in the whole 'voice' discussion, I enjoyed this piece -- I quite like MrSix's stuff, and I think that your additions fitted well. I particularly enjoyed the heavily-reverbed, subdued 'wails' in the background here and there.

uncloned

Thanks Barry for the listen. I agree Mrsix writes top notch stuff.  And is using a very modest platform as well.

psishock

*Getting* involved and trying to help in the vocal topic 'cause that is the weakpoint in most of your songs (imo).

First of all, you are not even near bad. I'm curious how would it sounds if you would sing a few octaves lower and try less (or can try more for the experiment) reverb/echo. I think a deeper octaves could have a better effect. I have noticed that you are singing a sight off note sometimes, that is ruining the general feel imo, but you can improve that, or can shift the pre-recorded (or realtime) singing to the right pitch with vst-s designed for this.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)