My Korg DS shit

Started by Louigi Verona, December 05, 2008, 20:39:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Title: First try
URL: http://lv.soonlabel.com/korg/first_try.mp3
Description: one of the first things I did. Got lost in doing it and eventually thought it is too dull to complete it.

Title: Dance hit
URL: http://lv.soonlabel.com/korg/dance_hit.mp3
Description: This is the first time I started to have fun with Korg DS. Not a perfect tune, but pretty well crafted. It is not a hit.

Title: Drone
URL: http://lv.soonlabel.com/korg/drone.mp3
Description: How can I miss the chance to do some slow music :)

Title: Chemistry
URL: http://lv.soonlabel.com/korg/chemistry.mp3
Description: This tune is dedicated to Chris. He is doing chemistry, so that's one pointer and also it is pretty experimental and is a sound collage. Technically it is interesting because the part 1:05-2:33 is actually one small pattern but it is always evolving, all by itself.

psishock

page load error..... page load error..... page load error.....
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Louigi Verona

Weird. Sorry. Let me look into this.

Louigi Verona

F***ing typos. All fixed now ;)

uncloned

I gotta say I didn't like the beginning of chemistry (mostly because of the snare sound and perceived lack of development) but once it hit the echo versus backward-ish sounds it really caught my interest. Nice unconventional usage there. Nice space you end up defining.

LPChip

My reviews :)

First Try: I love the cheesyness. :) I do miss a bit of bass at the second part. It is there, but the notes should be one octave lower. Great though.

Dance Hit: With this title, I feared for the worse (being a dance hit) The start thusfar is very good, and the 4/4 beat fits very well to it, turning this more into techno than dance. :) Very good song I think. A bit short perhaps, but seeing this to be a DS, I can understand :P

Drone: This is a complete different approach to music. I actually had a similar idea when I made Spooky Forest. Although I wanted a more organic sound, which you could get if you either detune the 2nd osc quite alot so the sounds fibrates or apply a patch on the pitch osc. Biggest downside in this song: it ends X)

Chemistry: Okay, this has weird sounds. And in this case thats bad. I'm not so into this kind of sound. Sam_zen will probably love this song. Its too experimental for me. At 1:12 a change comes that makes it more interesting but only because I got too bored of the previous sound. The sound however remains very experimental and that leads me to the conclusion: this is just not the kind of style I'm in :P Great sounds but not my kind of thing. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

1 - If you like the color of plastic.
2 - More cheesy than the first one. Pleasant.
3 - Too much crackling sounds to be a drone. A drone should be 'round' imo.
4 - Seem to be around 5/4. Changing setups. Not necessary in favor, as LPChip states.
Coming and going sounds are introduced, but they exist for a while, but don't evolve.

Louigi Verona

LP Chip: thanks for the reviews ) Maybe we should work on an album together - looks like we're the only ones here with Korg DS.

Sam Zen: thanks! as for drone - the only rule is that it is based on long tones. they can be anything.I have a tune I recorded from Soma FM's Drone Zone called Cold Swamp, it sounds like a field recording - basically like ... swamp!

LPChip

That would be cool, but how will we arrange that?

You don't happen to live in the Netherlands are you? :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

We can just write each 5 or 6 tracks and compile it into an album - as simple as that.

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"We can just write each 5 or 6 tracks and compile it into an album - as simple as that.

IC. 5 tracks is kinda'lot though :P

but we'll see :) I'm up for it. Just can't say how many songs I'll make for it.

Perhaps we can also give it a global theme/style so its easier to work with.

Louigi Verona

Well, we can take as much time as we want.
We can come up with a global theme - or not.
I would suggest though that we try various styles. Perhaps a global theme is not important. Besides, Korg hasso much limits that limiting oneself to a theme as well would be too much.

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Well, we can take as much time as we want.
We can come up with a global theme - or not.
I would suggest though that we try various styles. Perhaps a global theme is not important. Besides, Korg hasso much limits that limiting oneself to a theme as well would be too much.

Sorry, I sometimes forget how easy it is for me :nuts: j/k :P

But sure. I'll make a certain theme for myself so I can make similar songs for this. :)

bvanoudtshoorn

1. It's missing grunt, imo... The bass and the kick are just too thin. :) Some nice motifs, though.

2. Good fun. Some of the sounds seem to have very abrupt cutoffs on note changes - almost clicking. :/ Perhaps a little bit more R in the ADSR? :D

4. Interesting sounds... But I must admit, that I don't like it as much as I do your other stuff. Good use of panning, though.

Louigi Verona

the bass is clicking. it was done from some drum sample and at that time I couldn't remove the clicking without spoiling the bass sound.