Change username?

Started by Rakib, October 09, 2008, 21:22:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

Is it possible to change your username without the hazzle of creating a new account?
^^

Saga Musix

you ask the administartors nicely, rakib :P (just to keep the old name in here ^^)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

Whats wrong with "Rakib"? O.o You sounds Rakib enough for me, that is.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Rakib

No problems with Rakib, but in a other forum you can change your username in the user control panel.
^^

LPChip

On this forum you can ask me, and I'll change it for you. :)

Send me a PM with your desired new nickname and optionally an email adres so I can send you a notification that the changes are made. If you don't tell me your email, I'll use the one from your profile. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

how cruel from you. :lol:

Rakib

Sounds nice, but at this moment I dont want to change my username. I was just curious.

But another question, is this forum using a special character map?
So if I wanted to use any of the characters from unicode, I could?
^^

Saga Musix

The forum is set to iso-8859-1 charset, so I'm not sure if it's able to handle unicode (it may work with entities, but that's up to the forum software).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I strongly discourage the usage of special chars in the username. Even if the browser does support it, the user might not, and that can lead to unnecessary complications. I don't even believe phpBB allows it. Atleast not during the registration phase.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

registration would be the same as changin it in the admin panel. and as i've seen people posting japanese characters here, I do think that unicode works without problems.

QuoteEven if the browser does support it, the user might not
lol? :nuts:

psishock

Quote from: "LPChip"Even if the browser does support it, the user might not

нáxßøR91 or something would give me the creeps, i would personally be one of that users who is not supporting the idea =).

älskling is a special, border-line case, i don't mind cause we already have something like Tiësto. :lol:

edit: LOL Jojo, we always think about the same :lol:

älskling

I don't see any reason to allow ANY special characters*, I think users should make do with the numbers 0-9, the 29 regular letters of the alphabet and possibly an underscore.

*except those dutch admins

Saga Musix

props for your signature :P

Sam_Zen

私はのちょうど基本的なセットとälskling同意する。
I agree with älskling, just the basic set.
Maybe some chars will work in a post, but registration of a nick is another procedure.
There shouldn't be any risk that different users see different interpretations of a name.
29 ?? Maybe a bit more, considering the ascii-set. Like BLØF or überhaupt.
I cannot check it now, but are those conditions for entering a nick present in the registration form ?

LPChip

I can't see a setting for it in the admin panel, but then again, I can't find anything related to registration including registration itself in the admin panel either. :nuts:

My point is, if you have a username that uses somekind of unicode that requires a font installed, not only will each page with your username trigger a "you are missing a font, do you want to install?" warning, but furthermore users will not be able to send you PM's because they simply can't enter your name in the box due to the missing chars.

I even estimate that if you miss the chars during a windows reinstall, or visiting from someone elses computer that doesn't have the fonts installed, you might not even be able to login.