[Space Music]Approaching Destination(mp3)

Started by Harbinger, October 07, 2008, 01:52:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Approaching Destination

The vision: an automated cargo ship as it approaches a distant mining operation on the edge of the solar system, piloted by a faceless and stationary robot.

The style: space music at its heart, with a touch of drone and techno. Call it "techno-drone"...

The influence: Jonn Serrie of course, the perfector of classical space music. Deference to my colleague Luigi, whose drones has found its way into my psyche, and into the opening and persistent ostinato of this music.

The result: great music to fall asleep to....

uncloned

With all due respect

This is nice - though I find the faster "solo" type additions detract from the feel. They seem to fast in contrast to the pace of the piece in general. Not the "on the run" type sequencer run - that fits nicely. about 3:30 and 5:00 is what I refer to.

I will say that the "feel" of the piece is overall very good and sci-fi.

Sam_Zen

Harbinger

Quote from: "uncloned"
This is nice - though I find the faster "solo" type additions detract from the feel. They seem to fast in contrast to the pace of the piece in general. Not the "on the run" type sequencer run - that fits nicely. about 3:30 and 5:00 is what I refer to.

I think you're referring to the melodic line introduced by the square-wave synth....This is the techno in me coming out. I can't help it. :) I've had training in classical music, which is great for composing Italian Baroque concertos (one of my favorite things to do), but this is a fine example where knowing too much can actually hurt your artistic freedom. You young kids without alot of either education or life experience find it far easier to keep yourself open to composing ANYTHING, and i for one am jealous. (It's also why i admire our colleague SamZen, who for an old geezer, seems to avoid keeping his music from sounding "normal"! :D)

However, i must admit, i would have found it much easier to stick to the "ambient" music this piece promised to be, if i was sequencing rather than tracking. I can never tell where the notes in a channel are still on with each new pattern, so i guess i feel like i hafta fill up every pattern...

BTW, this music sat half-finished in a neglected folder(directory) for about a year, before i decided to finish it. It was originally called Pilot, and started before i discovered VSTi's.

uncloned

For what its worth I have a music degree as well - just two years though before I got my BS in chemistry. - My theory course work was a trip through analyzing and learning to write in various periods - with the emphases and culmination in writing 20th century contemporary style.

That aside - FT II had oscilloscopes for each channel that helped so much with the keeping track of what was still sounding - in my ambient attempts I'd have something several patterns long or I'd let something repeat forever.

Milkytracker has this feature but - it sounds bad on my system and OpenMPT does microtonal tuning - you can't go wrong!

PS my oldest son is 28....  I'm fifty

It is a very nice piece though and my observations are just minor distractions from the flow - all subjective of course.

Sam_Zen

FT II had oscilloscopes ?? I can't remember, but this is caused by being an old geezer, I suppose. :)

2 Harbinger
I also see a lot of young kids not being that much open for anything, but having a quite conservative approach, by choosing a certain style or genre,
and never leave it when making new songs.

uncloned

Yes - there was the option to turn them on ( think it was an option) or they were always on.

I still don't have a fast enough computer to run FT II reasonably under DOSBOX - but it is getting close!

I really miss it the oscilloscopes and wish OpenMPT had them.

Do you want me to try to get you a screen shot of the scopes?

uncloned

Harbinger

Quote from: "uncloned"For what its worth I have a music degree as well - just two years though before I got my BS in chemistry. - My theory course work was a trip through analyzing and learning to write in various periods - with the emphases and culmination in writing 20th century contemporary style.

Thank god there are more old geezers here!! I thought me and Sammy were the only ones!:D  Actually somehow i got the impression you were a young punk. Is that good or bad? :wink:

(Maybe i was thinking of psishock!):lol:

psishock

*cough* ...ooo, don't mind me, i was just accidentally walking by, didn't mean to eavesdrop or anything ^_^... /walks away fast/
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Harbinger

Don't you know to mind your own business when someone's talking about you behind your back?:lol:

Of course, you know i was just teasing you a little....:P

But it just goes to show how great it is to have such a wide variety of perspectives in our little clique of artists....

uncloned

Quote from: "Harbinger"
Quote from: "uncloned"

Thank god there are more old geezers here!! I thought me and Sammy were the only ones!:D  Actually somehow i got the impression you were a young punk. Is that good or bad? :wink:

I don't know....  :P I guess as long as my punkness doesn't offend!

Actually being old I have the feeling "I've done that" and "that's been done before" and when I was in my teens and a bit older everything seemed new - even though it really wasn't. I see way more connections now.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Sam_Zen

2 uncloned
Ah, those scopes .. Now I remember.
Thanks a lot for the screenshot. It's very nice to see the FT gui again after all those years.

uncloned

@ Sam

I found FT2 version 2.09 on the net.

Do you have that? It was unofficial - but as I remember your website has 2.08

The major difference is that it can autoconfigure the sound settings.

Sam_Zen

Due to your post I checked my site again and FT actually even was stuck there with 2.04.
This triggered my re-search in my CD-archive and it came up with 2.06 and 2.08.
So I will update the link anyway. I will add 2.08 there, not replace.
Because 2.04 has the PMP.exe included, while 2.08 hasn't, but has a .doc file and a txt file about  XM included.
But I would be pleased of course with 2.09.