[New Wave]Luck of the Draw(mp3)

Started by Harbinger, October 14, 2008, 05:46:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Luck of the Draw

This one harkens back to my days as a young man opening my eyes to this world, and musically i found myself attracted to the then-new electronic FM sounds of New Wave. Most of you kids never heard it, as its heyday was early to mid 80s, from bands like Flock of Seagulls, Human League, and my favorite, Missing Persons, whose sound you will definitely hear in this one. New Wave was the transition between Disco and Techno, and was all pop -- purposeless lyrics woven thru thick pads and "electronic acoustics."

After composing the first few measures, i was originally going to call this "Sinister Motives", but halfway thru, using the GTG-44 VSTi, i was starkly reminded of Missing Persons, and the synth sounds they used. So i retitled it to the title of a song i might have found on an imaginary album of theirs. Who knows what the words are! But this one screams for Terri Bozzio's lyrics!

There are some engineering updates i want to make to this one, so if you like it, keep your eyes open on the download site....

Sam_Zen

Excellent work. Very nice choice of sounds.
What else should I say?

uncloned

I liked this - I can't say I hear the eighties synth pop clearly but then my exposure to that genre was MTV when it actually played music videos!

Flock of Seagulls - cool band

mrvegas

I can definitely hear the 80s influence in this one.  And don't call me a kid.  I remember the early days of MTV very well  -- (MTV stands for "Music Television" for those of you that started watching it after 1990.)  Of course, after MTV started going to reality programming, I remember VH1 still advertising itself as the channel that showed music videos.  Then they stopped showing them too.  The music video was a bit of a novel art form for a few years in the early 80s though.

Back to the tune -- a little Devo, a little B-52s, and a little 21st century techno.  Good fun.  (And sounds great.  I like the GTG synths too, although I think the 44 is the only I can get multiple instances of in MPT.)