[Chiptune/Lounge] Dreaming Onwards (.IT, .MP3)

Started by LPChip, August 26, 2008, 12:06:48

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

This time, I wanted to try something new. I'm originally a chiptune artist but I make alot of various styles. Latelly I'm more into lounge, chillout and new age, and I decided to see if and how I can make a combination between a Chiptune and one of those. As result, you'll get a chiptune/lounge song. I'm very pleased with the result.

I've made a YouTube video about the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRdUWHkbQVk

Since its a chiptune, I didn't used any fancy VST's nor any VSTi's. That means that I can also give you the source! :D

Therefor, additional downloads:

.IT (zipped): http://files.lpchip.nl/lpchip/Dreaming%20Onwards.zip (about 11kb)
.MP3 (direct): http://files.lpchip.nl/lpchip/LPChip-Dreaming%20Onwards.mp3 (about 3,5 mb)

Duration: 3:14

Comments are always appreciated. Enjoy! :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

It's quite nice, LP! I listened to the IT file. And you know, even though it's a chiptune, I think a touch of subtle reverb on some of the parts would've lifted the whole thing even more. :) But it's well-executed, and good to listen to.

LPChip

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"It's quite nice, LP! I listened to the IT file. And you know, even though it's a chiptune, I think a touch of subtle reverb on some of the parts would've lifted the whole thing even more. :) But it's well-executed, and good to listen to.

As for the reverb, I actually experimented in the past to add reverb to chiptunes. Its quite simple using some envelopes, but it very much screws up the chippy feel. For that reason, I intentionally didn't use reverb. Perhaps, as this song isn't about chiptune alone, it could work, but I fear that it will draw away the chiptune feeling even more.

I'm glad you like it though. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

good point on the "chiptune" feel vs. reverb or any other effect.
i found the song mood a bit sad and dramatic, you acchived the wanted effect: it's an evolved chiptune. =)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

KrazyKatz

Very rare to hear a chip tune/lounge combination and to actually pull it off convincingly. Very impressive. Great song.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Sam_Zen

I enjoyed this.
Making a flower out of a bud in sound.

uncloned

I wonder if this should be called chip at all.

Synthesizer music yes - the fact that the synths are chips is incidental.

Very nice piece - I think you have another fan LP.

LPChip

Quote from: "uncloned"I wonder if this should be called chip at all.

Synthesizer music yes - the fact that the synths are chips is incidental.

Very nice piece - I think you have another fan LP.

Cool :D

Chiptunes are a wide cathegory. One says it has to be made out of simple sounds and the filesize can't be that big. Check. :)

Others refer to the effects and structure of the melody. I have appregio's and slidy melodies. Check. :)

But obviously, if I'm intermixing the chiptune genre with another genre, its hard to impossible to make it fully chiptune, like a happy crappy chiptune or demostyle chiptune. Thats just not possible. So I guess I passed the test :nuts:

But I'm glad you liked it, and I'm even honoured that you consider yourself a possible fan :)