My PC broke down

Started by Sam_Zen, June 22, 2008, 00:13:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

This topic was created after it was split from the BarryVan compo

I'm afraid I have to pass this round. Can't work with sounds now.
My computer broke down in a dramatic way, also electrically.
It's still the question if I can rescue what's left on the HD.
So I'm left with an old laptop having net-connection and that's it.

Nahkranoth

I hope you can fix it, Sam_Zen. It's hard when you lose what you have collected for years :(

Saga Musix

Let's hope you can rescue your data.

as seen on Purple Motion's forum:
"Tough guys don't take backups.. But they cry a lot." ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

That's terrible news, Sam_Zen! :'( I hope you can get it all sorted out. :? If your hard-drive's crashed, you can maybe try Restorer2000 - I've had really good results with it.

Saga Musix

PC Inspector File Recovery is also a pretty nice tool for rescuing data. Beware that most data rescuing tools can only fix software errors, though. Hardware failurs are hard to fix.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Thanks for the compassion, guys.

Jojo is right about backups, but I didn't have a dvd-burner to make a proper image of the HD.
As an alternative I was used to burn, once in a while, data, work, and program version on a Cdrom.
So not everything is lost, Nakranoth, I have this archive. The latest number is 67 (hex).
And during the time that the system went slowly down the drain, but still had access in safe mode,
I managed to copy parts of the data on two memory sticks.

I know PC inspector, but I'm afraid that it's too late for a software recovery.
In the end the HD came in an uncontrollable loop of reboot, and then the power broke down.
So I have to assemble a new sound-kit for the studio anyway.

I learned from this, that having net-connection and local soundwork on one system is quite risky.
If it breaks down, there's nothing else to do, except blowing on a bamboo flute.
I'm planning to buy a portable HD with USB, and ask the retailer to try to copy the data of the damaged HD on it.
Then I also will have a medium to make image-backups in the future, lots of space.

LPChip

If you're required to buy a pc, then you probably cannot get away under the fact that it will have SATA. If so, buy 2 identical SATA harddiscs, and put them in MIRROR mode. You will get 1 partition of the size of 1 of the Harddiscs in total, but every data it writes will be stored on both Harddiscs, which means that the data is always backed up.

And secondly, you cannot install windows on an external harddisk.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

QuoteAnd secondly, you cannot install windows on an external harddisk.
Not neccesarily. Some PCs support booting from USB devices.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"
QuoteAnd secondly, you cannot install windows on an external harddisk.
Not neccesarily. Some PCs support booting from USB devices.

As does my system, but thus far, I haven't been able with many different USB devices among USB sticks and USB Harddrives, to get a working windows installation on it. The install does start, and it copies the files to the USB drive, but as soon as it goes into the first boot sequence, it fails. It just seems impossible. And I've spoken with many people about it too. It just seems to be impossible.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

blame windows then. it works with other OSes :P
by the way: thread hijacking ftw :P

Sam_Zen

Afaik it's very difficult, because the medium is another drive, so there will trouble with some system paths.
I am not going to use the portable HD as a bootable one. It will be just for archiving data.
Buying a new pc is not a priority now. I still have enough hardware on the shelve to try to assemble one first.
Enough about this, it's off-topic indeed.

Saga Musix

Sam_Zen, what did you do to me?!?!?! Just 20 Minutes ago, the HDD of my laptop broke down too!!! :x

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"Sam_Zen, what did you do to me?!?!?! Just 20 Minutes ago, the HDD of my laptop broke down too!!! :x

It must be somekind of virus. Last thursday mine crashed too.

Saga Musix

this is really new. all my hardware normally breaks down in autumn! :P
but in this case, it really sucks since there was some really important sourcecode on it... i don't care about all the other thouands of files, but this particular file is lost... damnit...

Sam_Zen

I'm still pretty sure that most data can be recovered from the crashed HD, because it was divided into 3 partitions.
I'll take it to the local PC store having a clever technician. It's 20 GB, so it could be copied to one or more USB sticks.
So I'll have to build up a new system.

Virus or not, I don't mind. Virusscanners are always running behind the facts.
So if protection is concerned, if setting up a new web-system, the first priority is a proper firewall.
I found a nice free one, working from W98 and on, SoftPerfect Personal Firewall at NoNags.