My PC broke down

Started by Sam_Zen, June 22, 2008, 00:13:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

I'm a lucky person today.
The IDE disk of the broken machine has successfully been transferred to the external HD.
I asked for 5 partitions on the disk, but the technician, who did the job, told me, that windoze just allows 4.
Well, I can live with that.

And a friend of a friend of mine did have a set on the shelve for me.
An XP set, so I can arrange it to do the internet, instead of the old laptop with W98 using now..

LPChip

Uh, thats not right.

Indeed, you can have only up to 4 primary partitions, but You can create one external partition and devide it into 26 logical stations which could be seen as partitions on their own. Why 26? There are no more drive letters :P Unless you have windows XP and create a folder mapping instead of a drive mapping.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

hmm..reminds me of this one! :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

My brother, who runs an IT business, had a system for me too on the shelve.
So I can build up that set to perform the sound studio actions. So I'm even more lucky.
So far I worked with W2K, and now both machines run on XP, so I will have to get used to it.
And download the XP version of TweakUI..

I don't need that much partitions, because I don't see them as maps, but as functional areas.
On the W2K I had three for the survey, roughly divided into : basic programs - work - archive.
Roughly, because I used to place open-source apps or other progs without a setup procedure on the 'work' partition.
Just to keep them out of the standard Program Files map.

Stepping up to XP also means that I no longer can decrease the colors of my dialog screenshots to 16, because of the gradients.

LPChip

If you work a bit with XP, you'll see that you can tweak it fairly much to be Win2K like.

On the properties of the desktop, tab appearance, you can select the classic windows skin. This will allow you to get your graphics back to how win2k looks.

If you want even more performance boosts like Win2K, then I would suggest to create a slipstreamed version of windows XP, put SP2 on it and strip everything off like you would with TweakIU. Even all the tweaks itself can be executed.

The difference? A slipstreamed version has to be installed, but due to this, it will not install unwanted things. There's an easy tool for this called nLite
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to go back to W2K like, out of some nostalgia. :)
And XP is much more stable. It took me months tuning the W2K system to get some stabilty.
The tweaking I apply is more like some M$ automatisms I want to disable.
Like autorun if I put a CD in the drive. Or some nonsense on the taskbar.

(Just tested the new set, and it's great. Clockspeed is tripled, RAM doubled..
If working with sound, such improvements are very important.)

Saga Musix

from what i know, Win2K is much more stable than WinXP. I also have the classic Win2K look enabled in WinXP. Not because of nostalgia, but because it's much easier on my eyes, easier to use, etc...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Hmm, if that's so, I will check it out.

LPChip

I compensated for that terrible windows look by applying the uxtheme patch.

It allows you to download and use third party Visual Styles.

There are so many visual styles available on the internet. I always get mine from deviantArt, and it looks even much better than the windows classic skin. :)

You can do most tweaks from whitin nLite. For instance, I have disabled that advance search option out of windows. When I now press search in explorer, I get the files and folders search immediatelly, with the option to choose another search method. Also stuff in the taskbar etc can be tweaked, and a whole lot more.

Like running command prompt as right click menu from my computer, showing control panel in there, making sure that the driveletters are shown first, then the name on the drive instead of the other way around, stuff like that...

You should try out nLite just to see what it can do. :)

Oh, and if you indeed go through with it, I recommend to install Virtual PC first so you can test your nLite CD. If you made an error and the cd doesn't boot, then you haven't lost a cd :) (use the ISO option for this)

bvanoudtshoorn

Myself, I've themed my XP so that it looks like GNOME (from Linux); I even applied the Tango patcher to fix all of the standard icons so that they use the Tango icon theme. :D It's really satisfying when I confuse people who use my computer. :)

I personally haven't had too many stability issues with XP. The most difficulty I've had has been getting my X-Fi to run without issues consistently - it went through a patch of pretending not to exist every couple of months.  ::)

LPChip

I never have had such problems with my x-fi :o

Saga Musix

Creative's drivers suck anyway :P

Waxhead

There is a little talk about themes here and even if I prefer the classic win look I would like to spice it up a tad. If anyone know of a xp style who is 99% simmilar to the classic look please give me a hint ;)

bvanoudtshoorn

Here you go, Waxhead. :) This is how to make it look like the GNOME Clearlooks theme, which is nice and easy on the eyes, whilst still fairly "traditional" in style. It's kinda like a slightly blinged-up version of the standard. :D

http://nithinkamath.info/archives/2006/12/make-windows-xp-desktop-look-like-gnome/

Waxhead

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Here you go, Waxhead. :) This is how to make it look like the GNOME Clearlooks theme, which is nice and easy on the eyes, whilst still fairly "traditional" in style. It's kinda like a slightly blinged-up version of the standard. :D

http://nithinkamath.info/archives/2006/12/make-windows-xp-desktop-look-like-gnome/
Thanks but even this is a little to beefed up for my taste :)
if I want gnome I just run it on some of my other machines :D

PS! and also I don't want to get confused when running xming