An idea on improving Modplug quality

Started by Inventor, December 23, 2005, 16:10:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Inventor

Many things I?ve recently read here concerning the quality of Modplug resampling algo. Well, unfortunately it?s true that resampling engine of Modplug is not perfect. And it is not only a matter of hearing the difference as some people try to say. If you really need a quality suitable for further mix and mastering it should be perfect or close to it. I believe that resampling engine of Modplug will get perfect in a near future :-) (maybe I?m an optimist?). But anyway even right now you can get a better quality in Modplug. It?s of course a bit of work but maybe for some people it will be worth it.
The way I propose it to happen is to get a free plugin sfz (http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfz.htm) and just use it instead of samples in MPT. Run as many instances of sfz as you need (and as your pc can handle) and it will do a job. I know ? that?s a bit stupid to use a plugin for playing samples when MPT is dedicated to do so, but on the other hand ? when you really need that superb quality of your tracks this seems to do the job.
And there will be a difference in quality. You can check it by yourself ? just load the same for example hihat sample in sfz instrument and in typical modplug instrument. Put both with a low pitch in a pattern and than render the song to wav. You unfortunately don?t need to be a sound engineer to hear the difference.

Just an idea for people who are hungry for quality. And I still crave for that perfect resampling in Modplug itself!

Best wishes
Inv.

rewbs

I totally agree - if you're unhappy with MPT's sampler, use a plugin, that's what they are for.
Having said that, because the sampler is such a fundamental part of MPT, it is one of the few parts of the app that could already be replaced by plugins and that I do intend to work on and improve.

LPChip

I agree on the fact that a plugin can make MPT sound better. However, Since MPT is a tracker that was designed to work with wave files, the lack to use effects on a VSTi is what keeps me from using VSTi's to the max. I do play with VSTi's, but I tend to use samples/instruments more.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs