my improvements were ignored...

Started by phanoo, May 06, 2008, 14:17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

phanoo

hello        [sorry for my english I'm french]

that's strange, I've submitted some months ago my improvements for MPT to the development team, but my patch (built with TortoiseSVN) was totally ignored, they continued to make new improvements without adding mines...

the modifications were: an 8-band graphic equaliser (instead of 6...) and some better icons (the appearence is quite important for all users, it's not very pleasant to work with a win3.1-like program....)

I don't know why they haven't added my changes, it was only about replacing/adding some lines in the source code.

If they don't make these changes, maybe I will continue to improve-it myself (but I'm not very very good at C++), and make a French version of this program

LPChip

Our main developer who accepts/denies this, hasn't had the time to check every submission.

Relabs did made some changes but they haven't been added to the build of 0.48 either. Instead, a new brand was formed, so we could continue the development. At a later stage, these addons/fixes will be implemented in the .48 build and made into a new official version.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I like most of your icons, by the way.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

by the way: I find the 17khz EQ setting a bit strange. i'd rather add a slider for the very low frequencies around 40-50hz.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "phanoo"that's strange, I've submitted some months ago my improvements for MPT to the development team, but my patch (built with TortoiseSVN) was totally ignored, they continued to make new improvements without adding mines...
The patch was not totally ignored. I finally took a look at it few weeks ago but decided not merge it for the time being - sorry, I should have informed you about this. Also, please note that the developers may have their own features they wish to finish before starting to merge features implemented by others, or simply they wish to use their time for something else - the list of useful features to add is not a short one, so qualification is inevitable.

Quote from: "phanoo"the modifications were: an 8-band graphic equaliser (instead of 6...) and some better icons (the appearence is quite important for all users, it's not very pleasant to work with a win3.1-like program....)
While you did mention intention of improving icons, I didn't see any icon patches in the patch(EQ_VcProj.patch) received through modplug developers mailing list.

Quote from: "phanoo"it was only about replacing/adding some lines in the source code.
...and hours/days/weeks of exploring the code and making sure that the changes work as expected.

Quote from: "LPChip"Our main developer who accepts/denies this, hasn't had the time to check every submission.
Is our main developer active?

Quote from: "LPChip"Relabs did made some changes but they haven't been added to the build of 0.48 either. Instead, a new brand was formed, so we could continue the development. At a later stage, these addons/fixes will be implemented in the .48 build and made into a new official version.
No new branch has been formed, there just hasn't been release in sourceforge after .48 due to various reasons.

älskling

If it's Rewbs we're talking about, last time I heard from him he claimed to have forgotten how to use MPT... I guess that makes you "our main developer"...

I suggest every interested developer to start their own branch, and then everyone can adapt the changes of others as you please. Perhaps an open policy of one programmer one branch will make it easier for new people interested in the project to get started without feeling like they have to have the approval of people already involved in the project. After all, isn't that what defines a true open source project?

LPChip

I was indeed talking about Rewbs. Sad to hear if he indeed won't do programming anymore.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Well indeed, I didn't thought about this, but no activities here by Rewbs for quite some time..

Pretty icons indeed, but this is somewhat spoiled by the imo a bit down-putting remark about the program being win3.11.
Which just isn't correct.
This can be considered as an estethical thing improving survey, no functions are changed or enhanced.
Then two more bands in the EQ.
Ok, every improvement is fine. But it is not something that I was desperately waiting for.
So I can imagine that the developers had other priorities.
And I agree with Jojo about the slider for low frequencies.

Of course every interested developer can start their own branch without approval from somewhere, it's open source indeed.
What can lead to the free choice of the user which construction to use.
But at least regarding this forum, it's another story. Without having some consensus which version is the basic, or the latest one,
it easily can become a mess regarding for example bugreports and requests.

phanoo

I understand ; but when I make changes, I always verify that my features works... I worked on my musics with my modified version about 2 months, and there is no bugs.
Maybe I forgotten to talk to the developers that I test everything... (maybe they can't have 'trust in someone they don't know', but now they saw a screenshot...)

for the EQ, the problem was that the old EQ can only go up to 10 Khz. I added a high freq slider (11.5 to 19 Khz) and a low frequency (35 Hz to 85)

LPChip

You make a big flaw in your judgement.

You can test something as much as you want, but if you also made the changes, there can always be parts that you didn't considered. Testing by other people will only proof that it was build correctly. On top of that, every developer should test their modifications before giving it out to the public.

phanoo

maybe.
but for these modifications I'm sure there is no mistake in my code, because it's only very very basic modifications (copy the EQ's sliders code to add 2 bands, modify a small piece of code to add the support of 24-bit icons).
but of course I understand that the developers have to verify before adding anything

sorry if sometimes I don't express myself correctly (politeness) I'm not very 'strong' in english  :lol:

I think no French version exists, so I will make a French version of OMPT.
I don't know if there is a way to have a separated language file... that would be a cool feature

Saga Musix

I've seen rewbs some weeks ago lurking around in the forum here, so he's probably not totally forgotten about us :lol:
In addition, I may happily claim now that I'm probably going to join the mpt dev team! :)

bvanoudtshoorn

LPChip