my improvements were ignored...

Started by phanoo, May 06, 2008, 14:17:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "phanoo"but for these modifications I'm sure there is no mistake in my code, because it's only very very basic modifications (copy the EQ's sliders code to add 2 bands...
What comes to the EQ part, to me it seems there are rather many problems for a "very very basic" modifications(e.g. old ini setting interpretation and various other potential problems caused by changing the eq band number). And regarding the icon part, where the related patch is available?

Quote from: "Jojo"In addition, I may happily claim now that I'm probably going to join the mpt dev team! :)
:)

Sam_Zen

I'm sure you're presence in the team will be an enrichment, Jojo !

Quote from: "phanoo"I understand that the developers have to verify before adding anything
This has more to do with the decision which version should be published. Not with the previous process.

Of course, as LPChip stated, every developer should test their modifications.
But a dev always should be aware of the fact, that tests 'in the lab' don't cover everything possible.
So only beta-testing in practice, in all kinds of different conditions, by volunteers, could prove somewhere "there is no mistake in my code".
This is one of the beautiful aspects of open source.
While the evolution still needs some organised form, probably with some hierarchy in a way. To be effective.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"But a dev always should be aware of the fact, that tests 'in the lab' don't cover everything possible.
Indeed, the tests 'in the lab', if done at all, are has been very primitive and certainly could, and probably should, be improved. And while talking about the development of OMPT, all the feature it should have and how industry standard program it should be, it's good to keep in my the fact there's no full time professional developers or even well organised team developing the program, and it shows.

Harbinger

I know how you feel about being ignored, phanoo. No one seemed interested when i offered new sleek designs for the interface, but the devs may have their own priorities, so i just kept my specs to myself. NOT being a programmer, i've learned that devs go on their own schedule at their own interest. And even a sleek new interface can present a lot of programming nightmares.

Plus keep in mind, not all of us have the latest OS. I'm using MPT under Windows 98 emulation from my Mac. With every new version i fear i'll get left behind, and be stuck in the "last version for 98" dead-end lane. So even if you've tested it with your setup it may not work for some of us dinosaurs. And so far i get the impression that our noble devs or at least LPChip doesn't want anyone to get left behind...i hope  :cry:

älskling

Quote from: "Harbinger"I know how you feel about being ignored, phanoo. No one seemed interested when i offered new sleek designs for the interface, but the devs may have their own priorities, so i just kept my specs to myself.
I'm quite sure keeping the specs to yourself didn't help your cause.

LPChip

Honestly, How much I want to support everything, I'm not a dev either. I just run the community, and that gives me rights to say something, but the devs are the ones that determines what gets in and what not.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Harbinger

Quote from: "älskling"
I'm quite sure keeping the specs to yourself didn't help your cause.

Yeah thanks mr sarcastic. Except i didn't have a "cause." If the devs wanted ideas they would have spoken up. If you're not a dev, i didn't want to get anybody's hopes up, and i didn't want dead-end conversation.

My comment was designed to make our friend not feel so "rejected" about his good ideas. Yours on the other hand were completely unnecessary, alskling. Let's be gentlemen here, please... ::)

And sorry LP. I thought you had major input :wink: ....

älskling

Quote from: "Harbinger"Yours on the other hand were completely unnecessary, alskling. Let's be gentlemen here, please... ::)
I agree, let's be gentlemen and not sulky drama queens. ;)

Harbinger

I think everyone is in favor of me letting that kind of childish comment be the last word.... ::)

Sam_Zen

Hmm. I want to add a childish question mark here.
If the fear for the "last version for 98" dead-end lane exists, why on earth can it be a priority to improve a sleek design for the GUI ?

Back to the issue.
On almost each forum regarding software there is a category like 'feature requests'.
I've seen often that posters interpret this option to make a 'request' as a 'demand' to do something.
Especially newcomers of course because they don't know the structure of the development yet.
In reality, one dev, or a team, has to decide to release a new beta-version, otherwise it gets a mess.
Lots of requests are coming in, the dev has to check them, make a to-do list, and make priority choices.
In this perspective, I think on the TC forum the situation is more according to reality.
There's no forum for 'requests' only for 'suggestions'.
Doesn't remove the fact that an ignored suggestion can be disappointing too.

Really Weird Person

Perhaps, you were not ignored, but the developer(s) may have not seen much praticality in the implementations. As I believe was stated earlier, perhaps the development team just has not reached yours yet.

maleek

My 2 cents. A redesign with a nice looking GUI would be very nice. I don't see why one would think otherwise.

älskling

Quote from: "maleek"My 2 cents. A redesign with a nice looking GUI would be very nice. I don't see why one would think otherwise.
I don't think anyone thinks otherwise (at least not anyone who thought about it seriously). I think (from previous discussions) that developers have put priority to removing bugs and adding features than improving the ergonomics. One reason for this has been the intention (at least that's how I perceived things) of previous developers to rewrite the software to lessen dependencies on MFC and a new file format, and the redesign could be done at the same time. There has also been some concerns voiced that a custom GUI needs to work with screen readers for those with impaired eye-sight.

In the end tho, everyone thinks it would be nice buy no one is prepared to make the effort.

My speculations may be wrong tho, so anyone feel free to correct me.

Sam_Zen

Of course a fancy GUI would be nice, I've nothing against that, as long as the navigation stays clear.
But älskling points to an important factor : the accessability for the visually impaired.

maleek

älskling and Sam Zen:

Valid points. I have the utmost respect for the focus of the people who take their time to add to the OMPT-project, and what they focus on.