[Pop/(Lounge)] Walking (MP3)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, March 23, 2008, 12:07:07

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

A funky little tune that's largely about the bass. There are also a couple of vocal samples which I found lying about my hard drive and threw in for good measure. :) No loops. I don't quite know what genre to put it under, so feel free to suggest some. :P

As always, feedback is both welcome and appreciated.

Get it here. (3.89MB)
Get the source OpenMPT (.50) IT here. (131KB)

Sam_Zen

Couldn't check the IT because I don't have a chainer.
Excellent sound-production. I would call this "Lounge".

bvanoudtshoorn

Thanks Sam_Zen! Glad you liked it. :)

Yeah, I don't expect anyone'll actually be able to play back the IT file. But at least you can see what notes went where, and, if you're really bored, put in your own instruments and see how it goes. :)

Sam_Zen

Hmm. Nice suggestion, because in this case just playing back the score without the chainer etc. makes no sound.

But the written score is there. This would mean I would perform your composition with a different 'ensemble'.
Which is quite common in the classical and pop tradition, but not in electronics.

In this concept it would be nice to have some description of the original instruments being used, as indication.
In this case 8 instruments are used, so which number is e.g. the el. piano, the bass or the voice ?

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"In this concept it would be nice to have some description of the original instruments being used, as indication.
In this case 8 instruments are used, so which number is e.g. the el. piano, the bass or the voice ?

Hmm... I did give each instrument a name. But I didn't do the channels. :( I'll quickly map it out for you, though, in case that's what you meant. :)

1 - 6: Electric Piano
7: FX ("That magic space moment")
8: Bass
9: Drums (Kick)
10: Drums (Hand 1)
11: Drums (Hand 2)
12: Square synth
13 - 15: Choir
16: Voice FX
17: Assorted percussion (bongos etc)

Hope this is what you were after. :)

Sam_Zen

Yep, it is. And sorry, I was too hasty here, I just checked the list in the comments tab, showing 8 'untitled' samples.
But the instrument tab has the descriptions. Although in another, more simple order, just 1 - 8.

Sam_Zen

In fact there were 9 instruments.
So I replaced them with a set of chinese instrument samples, but still playing exactly the same score.
http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/download/oggs/Walkingx.ogg
Just as an example of the concept.

bvanoudtshoorn

Sorry for the late reply, Sam_Zen...

It's an interesting sound. :) I like the idea of different ensembles for the same piece. It does work somewhat in this piece, but I think that a little bit of tweaking is necessary, because I've used some unconventional things in the track (like the bass using very low pitches for a different sampleset). Still, it's a cool idea. :D

Sam_Zen

Fully agree that this would need some tweaking. It was just a rough translation/patching of the piece.
A matter of optimizing the arrangement with the specific set of the current ensemble.

But I'm convinced, that you could agree with the fact, that the overall impression of the score stays evident,
despite any unbiased other instruments playing the piece.

LPChip

My first thought is that this song isn't lounge. Its a bit too fast for Lounge I think.

Perhaps pop or slow rock would be a better one. Also the drums are more aggressive for lounge. So definatelly not lounge to me.

About the song itself.

at 0:44 the piano starts to play. Altough its quite nice, you might want to add some dynamics to it (not every key is being played equally as loud) and I personally think that the piano goes on too long for just a fraction of the song. (I would've stopped it 2 patterns earlier) Due to this, it kinda feels bad when the piano returns later in the song.

I also miss a lead in the song, but thats personal taste.

Overall the song is good though, the sounds match and thats an important thing.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

@Sam_Zen:
Yeah, I do agree with you. :)

@LPChip:
Yeah, this song's a bit controversial regarding genre. :P

You know, I also feel that it might be a bit too long. I like the riff that the piano plays, but it does get a tad tedious... I guess that I overcompensated for my tendency to not let things go on for long enough before changing. :D

Normally, I'd have a lead, too. But this song didn't seem to want one from me... (and also, I couldn't think of one that'd work... :P)

Glad you liked it overall.

AppO

I love the piano theme ! Hands in the air.

AppO
The Humble Craftsman aka Viktor Ugo-Appas aka Jolimelodia

mrvegas

Way cool.  You manage to work across an awful lot of genres.  (I won't try to name one here, other than to say that it reminds a lot of 70s music for some reason.)  The little break in the middle with the bongos really did it for me.

CrazyAznGamer

Sounds loungey to me... then again, I am sp33d-fr33k in the vein of those crazy dnb/idm/breakcore jerks so take that with grain of salt.

Or just ignore the genre. It's pretty chill already. Would like to the hear the vocals more prominently in the mix: some of the fx on them are pretty kewl.