Disc-At-Once CD Burning for Dance Mixes

Started by xincbox, October 10, 2007, 21:51:29

Previous topic - Next topic

xincbox

i'm having a ton of trouble with burning stuff like a mixed dance cd so that the tracks 'bleed' into one another without silences

anyone know of any good software to use / what i need to do?

cheers

-Chris

Saga Musix

I'm sorry but first of all, you need the correct files for this. Some MP3 encoders can't do this "gapless playback" job, but LAME does it pretty well, like the OGG or FLAC Format. If you're another MP3 codec than LAME, you'll most likely have a silence padded song. You have to remove this silence in an audio editor first, save it as wav and then burn these WAVs as audio data.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Right on. I read somewhere that Mp3 conversion automatically adds some leading and trailing bytes of silence to a track.

Besides this I think one has to be alert of the fact that most audio-burners have a default setting of a pause of 2 secs between tracks.

So the tracks should be as 'tight' as possible. So far the burning.
If playback is concerned, of course several media-players like JetAudio have options to make a cross-fade between tracks.

xincbox

uh i don't make habits of burning CDs from mp3s anyway, the file is one 60min + wave that i've used CD cue markers in Cool Edit to split up into individual waves. The batch file converter in Cool Edit does add little silences when i convert to mp3 (for my media player) but that doesn't really worry me

i'll check JetAudio out, can it burn CDs?

thanks for the responses

KrazyKatz

Hi Chris,

Most CD Burning programs leave a 2 second gap between each song. In most programs ( I use NERO ), you can actually set how long you want the gap after each track, as well as if you want it after some tracks and not others. Just check around in the options. If you're still not winning then just  ask.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

xincbox

a few months ago i had trouble doing it even with nero, but i'ma give JetAudio a go once i find some blank cds :p

thanks for your help guys

Sam_Zen

JetAudio Basic has an audio-CD burner as well. Didn't use it for that, because I have Deepburner. But I just checked, and it has an option to set the gap between tracks to zero.
As far as Cool is concerned : I suggest using the OGG format instead of MP3. No little silence added, more and more mediaplayers can handle it, and it's opensource.
Some additions :
A DLL for JetAudio to handle the FLAC format.
3 Cool filters to handle FLAC, OGG and (open) a MOD format.

xincbox

sorted this with JetAudio, just using my original wave files. thanks again

Diamond

You might want to give Burrrn
http://www.burrrn.net/
a try.  It's free.  It supports DAO (Disc-At-Once) which will eliminate the gaps of silence, cue sheets, CD-Text, loading of M3U;PLS;FPL playlists and file types WAV;MP3;MPC;OGG;AAC;MP4;APE;FLAC;OFR;WV;TTA.  I use it to burn my own mixes and it works great.

Sam_Zen

I like to indicate a kind of confusion nowadays about CDs. This Burrrn looks pretty neat, but it says :
"Burrrn is a little tool for creating audio CDs with CD-Text from various audio files".
Then the whole list of compatible formats comes along.

Let me emphasize, that still, according to the book, there's a difference between an 'audio CD' and a 'data CD'.
Making an audio CD, maybe with CD-text, is only possible copying WAV files (on the CD the tracks become the CDA format).

Using other formats to make an audio CD is only possible, if the tracks are converted (possibly in the background) to WAV before burning.
If the other formats just are copied on a CD, it's not an audio CD, but a CD rom.

Which of course can be played back also. I realize that a lot of people have exchanged their CD player for a DVD player, almost any disk will do, so no difference detected, but nevertheless.

Diamond

Burrrn does not create data disks.  It decodes all the supported audio formats into WAV before the burning process begins.  I should also point out that this is true of most audio CD burning applications which support multiple formats.

bvanoudtshoorn

You can't go past K3B for burning anything. I use it almost exclusively. Of course, it only runs under Linux...