Suggestions for Novice to Improve in Making Music

Started by ScottHYoung, October 21, 2007, 04:52:21

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottHYoung

Hi Everyone,

A few years ago I was interested in writing mod music.  I never became an expert at it, but I'd like to believe I got past the extreme basics of making a song.  With other interests and time-commitments, writing mod music went off the hobbies list and I forgot about it completely.  Now as I'm digging through my large library of downloaded mod music, I feel like taking it up again as a casual hobby.  

Unfortunately, I'm tired of just experimenting and would like some advice for composing.  Awhile ago I believe LPChip and a few other talented folks pointed me in the right direction helping me write better.  Now I'm hoping you guys can help again.

My questions:

1) Is there any tutorials on composing music that teach basics of music theory?  Much of it seems either focused on learning specific instruments or broad wikipedia articles that don't seem practical.

2) Here are a few of my songs I previously wrote when I was practicing modding.  If anyone wants to tear them apart and give me some suggestions I'd be appreciative:

http://www.scotthyoung.com/mod.zip

Don't worry about giving me completely biased, opinionated advice, I'm looking for your suggestions at how to compose better, not the universal standard.

LPChip

1. Quite simple answer: you don't need music theory to express yourself musically. :) Make what you think sounds good. If it doesn't sound good enough to you, then its not good. How's that for a theory? :D

2. See below:

Wrath of the Ancients
Nice atmosphere. Certainly a good start. although most of the song are the same notes on the same rows, its a good beginning. Some tips for this song: the lead plings could be changed to include longer notes and pauses.

twighlight in Urutan
Oh, nice jazzy feel in here. This certainly is good for a beginner! I hear a few false notes due to the echo you've made in the lead. You could give the echoed notes that cause this less volume to solve that problem. Also pitching the other melody by one octave can help here.

You're certainly on a good way. This is how I started too. The more music you make, the more you'll grow in it. Thats basically the secret in becoming good. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

ScottHYoung

Sam_Zen

Next time you post a link to your work to get a review, do it in the Download forum, not in General.

Wrath of the Ancients : I fancy the score, but not the chosen instruments.
Twighlight in Urutan : Nice drive. It would be jazzy, if the hihat wasn't produced in a pop-way, but much less prominent.
This would emphasise the basic speed of the bass-line.

As LPChip stated, following (western) music theory is not a must, but a personal choice. One can even decide per module.

~ MPT is a technical instrument to compose. So don't be lazy in studying the technical aspects of your tool.
Codes, structures, hotkeys, hexadecimal, sound formats, mixing, etc. It will pay off, giving you more control in the expression.
MPT is not an easy-go groovemaker with some drag-n-drop sequencer to produce a quick techno-compo, opus 354627.

~ In the search for a solution realizing certain ideas in a work, don't hesitate to check works of others. One doesn't have to invent the wheel again, if simple technical tricks and aspects are involved.

~ Keep your ears sharp. Train them. Analyze sounds, what's happening, what's the form..
If you're waiting in a room, don't get bored, but focus randomly on some soundsource in the environment, and follow it.

Novus

A long, long time ago (1995, if I remember correctly), Leviathan wrote an absolutely superb article on music theory for the long-dead TraxWeekly newsletter. It was so good, I copied it onto my own website (with a couple of minor corrections) so that I'd always be able to find it quickly for future reference. Here's the link:

http://www.novusmusic.org/traxweek.html#051505

Share and enjoy. :wink:
And no, I'm not back, whatever the hell "back" means. :)
novusmusic.org

ScottHYoung

Thanks for the tips Novus and Sam!

Novus.  Just read the article.  Great stuff!  This is exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm a firm believer that it's good to know the rules if you want to break them.  Knowing some of the basics will help me from just trying to use my ear to feel out chords.

Do you know where I could get more articles like this?