Hmm, Modplug Player for *nix, anyone?

Started by robert_, December 06, 2005, 18:52:09

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_

:arrow: Somebody should port MPP over to the *nix.family of operating systems.
ARNINGWARNINGWARNINGW
W*********************A
G* Information contained  *R
N* herein may be stupid.   *N
I**********************I
NRAWGNINRAWGNINRAWGN

MisterX

Good idea.  Where can we get a hold of "somebody"?

I understand that "somebody" is very busy, since "somebody" is supposed to be taking care of a lot of things. ;)
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

Trustmaster

Isn't libmikmod.so or xmms-modplug enough for you? MPP is in fact too old and unsupported. It would be better if someone (but I know that no one at least at this period of time will really do) ports XMPlay and OpenMPT to *nix (in case of OpenMPT I should say it is about impossible because of VSTs, not even taking the MFC porting problem in account).

BTW, have you tried running MPP through WINE?

DavidN

This isn't related to porting the program as such, but I've found that the MikMod library can't handle vibrato at all, it just produces a low buzzing sound - this is common to XMMS and CocoModX for the Mac, at least. Am I the only one with this problem?

residentgrey

Has OMPT crossed over to the land of *nix yet??
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Squirrel Havoc

I got MPP running with WINE just fine (hey, that rhymed!). Wine is usually easy to download and install, depending on your distro. Since no one even has the sourcecode to MPP, this is your best bet
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"I got MPP running with WINE just fine (hey, that rhymed!).

if you got a voice like "Chuck D" from Public Enemy you can become my vocalist  :lol:
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

rewbs

Quote from: "residentgrey"Has OMPT crossed over to the land of *nix yet??

no - see Trustmaster's post, it's a horribly big job.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Trustmaster"It would be better if someone ports XMPlay to *nix
A bit like BASSMOD then?

xaimus

VSTs under UNIX aren't impossible, though.  I've been spending the past few months playing around with vstserver and fst under FreeBSD.  It's hopeful, but doesn't currently seem usable.  Jack enters a suicidal loop when clients disconnect, so most of my tests are cut short.

I've been playing around with an idea for a "Modplug compatible" UNIX tracker that doesn't suck.  My work is progressing extremely slowly, though--I've been bogged down with a lot of university work, and spend a good chunk of my time churning out JSP crap at work.  :(

Trustmaster

Thanks for the BASSMOD XMMS-plugin link :)

Well, I've about moved on Linux now but there's still one thing keeping me in Windows. As you might suppose, it is OpenMPT. I've recently thrown all those FL Studio, Renoise and Reason away and currently I'm using OpenMPT + VST/VSTis only (so that it starts using 70-99% of my Athlon XP 3000+ CPU time while playing). I've tried running MPT through WINE, but it doesn't deal with VSTis. I haven't tried vstserver and if talking of audio software on *nix it often gets drowned in bugs and dependencies. But I hope I can move my musical activity onto Linux some day.

hematurge

http://agnula.org/

A linux distro aimed at audio/video production.
At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity, idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political idols. - Aldous Huxley

xaimus

Quote from: "Trustmaster"I've tried running MPT through WINE, but it doesn't deal with VSTis.
What VSTis?

Trustmaster

I've caught the idea. Maybe those are just VSTis using registry (i.e. commercial ones). I should try making OpenMPT working properly more intensive when I have assembled my new gentoo-based system.

Maybe you'd post some tips on getting 100% OpenMPT functionality with WINE on UNIX-like systems, so that we can proudly spread that "OpenMPT supports *nix systems"?

xaimus

Quote from: "Trustmaster"Maybe you'd post some tips on getting 100% OpenMPT functionality with WINE on UNIX-like systems, so that we can proudly spread that "OpenMPT supports *nix systems"?
Running in WINE is hardly what I'd call support.  :D

Anyhow, running any recent version of OpenMPT on WINE .9.2 on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE will eventually give:
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x9c31fac8 "WINMM_IData" wait timed out in thread 03d7, blocked by 03da, retrying (60 sec)
At that point, sound output no longer works.  I haven't seen if it does the same when rendering to a wav, yet.  The latest version I am able to use reliably is .wild.001.

As far as general tips, though, using a native Win98SE msvcrt.dll helps a lot.  Some VSTs may cause MPT to hang.  Others work perfectly.  Others, still, will make MPT die if you try to open their graphical interface (in my case, "Classic Flanger" and "Classic Master Limiter" are such plugins).  If you're using a standard "wave mapper"-style output device, the interface will update with a frequency inversely related to how high you set the latency, when you're playing a track.  If you're using DirectSound, the interface will always be responsive, but will cause a bit more overhead.
Aside from that, there really aren't any pitfalls; it works rather well.