Hmm, Modplug Player for *nix, anyone?

Started by robert_, December 06, 2005, 18:52:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Asharin

Quote from: "xaimus"
Quote from: "Trustmaster"Maybe you'd post some tips on getting 100% OpenMPT functionality with WINE on UNIX-like systems, so that we can proudly spread that "OpenMPT supports *nix systems"?
Running in WINE is hardly what I'd call support.  :D

Anyhow, running any recent version of OpenMPT on WINE .9.2 on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE will eventually give:
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x9c31fac8 "WINMM_IData" wait timed out in thread 03d7, blocked by 03da, retrying (60 sec)
At that point, sound output no longer works.  I haven't seen if it does the same when rendering to a wav, yet.  The latest version I am able to use reliably is .wild.001.

As far as general tips, though, using a native Win98SE msvcrt.dll helps a lot.  Some VSTs may cause MPT to hang.  Others work perfectly.  Others, still, will make MPT die if you try to open their graphical interface (in my case, "Classic Flanger" and "Classic Master Limiter" are such plugins).  If you're using a standard "wave mapper"-style output device, the interface will update with a frequency inversely related to how high you set the latency, when you're playing a track.  If you're using DirectSound, the interface will always be responsive, but will cause a bit more overhead.
Aside from that, there really aren't any pitfalls; it works rather well.

So it does work under wine? MPT is about the only thing keeping me in windows :p
In MPT I pretty much use VSTi's completely, I very rarely use samples (except for vocals heh)
So if Stringstudio, Amplitube, Slayer2 (well I only user the FX plugin, I don't use the actualy vsti now :p) and SR202 work I'll happily switch over to linux completely, as every other app I use either has a decent native equivalent, or works under wine/cedega
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

xaimus

The latest releases of OpenMPT don't work well.  If you try to play audio, the program will hang.

MPT .wild will work, as well as "classic" MPT.  VST support for both works as well.  I'm able to use a large assortment of plugins with no problem, and have switched my primary music workstation to FreeBSD completely.

I haven't tried any of those plugins, though.