[funky] Links Left (XM)

Started by Sam_Zen, October 29, 2006, 05:26:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Links Left - 18 lofi samps - 8 chans.
I call this kind of files 'danceable'.

apple-joe

OK - I see it's very pre-sampled, I mean; long duration of some of the samples, but it's a great listen anyway. It just means that you have less work to do when it comes to adding notes. Anyway, I can't deny the fact that it grooves verily.

That said, let me eventually provide some negative critizism. Towards the end I thought "hmm, hasn't the guitar loop been playing for quite a long time now...?" And the answer is naturally "YES!". How about adding some more variation in there? Just don't substitute the funky overall feel.

Sam_Zen

First of all, I don't consider a critizism as negative on forehand. But try to welcome it as a constructive observation.

QuoteI see it's very pre-sampled, I mean; long duration of some of the samples, but it's a great listen anyway. It just means that you have less work to do when it comes to adding notes.
Nice expression : pre-sampled. In fact it's a conscious choice to take a full bar of the rhythm-section, instead of a single note. But I don't agree with 'less work'.

Because it should be looped exactly, the length of the bar-sample, taken out of some song on a cd, needs quite some editing to get the right length of bytes. To make a smooth repeat anyway.
Because it's a production sample instead of a single note, it's stereo. Because I like control over the material, I split it into two mono-files as L and R.
Then, if loaded as samples in MPT, it needs a very careful tuning of the playback speed.
While playing, change the tempo from 122 to 120 and you will hear what I mean.

If you mean the guitar loop in chans 1 and 2 you have a point. Haven't put any variaton in there, just a 16-step repeat. But using variations in a bar-loop is quite tricky. Before you know it, the beat is lost.
So I replaced the file by a shorter version with some variations from and after pattern 24.

apple-joe

Yeah, I eventually thought that you had spent some time on the sample editing part. That's why I tried to be precise in my formulation, and said "...less work when it comes to adding notes".

And on 2nd listen I noticed some extreme guitar (?) sounds. Guitar of the heavier type. Very... different. I haven't decided whether it was disturbing or refreshing yet. Anyway, it caught my attention.