[Edgy] Chisp (MOD)

Started by Sam_Zen, October 19, 2006, 00:11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

According to the request of apple-joe another piece with 'non-4/4 rhythms'.
Chisp - 2:00 - 16 lofi samps - 4 channels.
According to the common notation this is in 6/8.

apple-joe

Writing coments as I'm listening. This is surely a source for original influences. Is it based on an idea about a battle?

Excellent rhythm channel. I'm trying to 'tear it apart' / understand it.

Ok, I tried to analyze how you created the repeated cycle of the rhythm. Did you intend a theoretic, general 12/8 rhythm, sub-divided in 7/8+5/8?

At least, that's how I had to count it in order to understand it.

Sam_Zen

A battle you could say. I had a situation with some sharp tensions in mind.
You could be right about 12/8, I don't know. I picked a base cycle of 12. Then I choose the resolution of steps I need inside one beat, in this case 2, so I multiplied to 24, then setting the pattern length to 48 to have two such bars in each pattern. I don't see a sub-division of 5 and 7. You will notice the 'one' beat neatly on step 24 of the pat.

An important aspect in these rhythm channels is the use of the '9xx' code . A slight delay before the sample is played.
I used a property of the mod-format here : Because, without specific pan-codes, channel 1 is left, channel 2 is right.
So sometimes I place a mono-sample in both channels on the same row, but with different codes : 901 and 902.
901 to make a tiny 'after-beat', 902 to create a tiny 'spatial' element.

apple-joe

Yes, I understand how you planned the rhythm now. However, if you have a closer listen to one bar. Listen to one bar of the percussion channel. It may not be important, but I found it a lot easier to count "1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 6 7" when I tried to follow the rhythm channel specifically. That said, it may not be important, because in many cases, it's the change of chords/sounds that determine how many beats the bars consist of. I mean, if the chords/sounds change every 12th beat, I should have no reason to claim the piece is in 5/8+7/8 even if it might be easier to count the percussive part that way when listening to that channel only. Got to include the greater perspective.

Sam_Zen

I took a close listen, but I couldn't find the 5-7 count. Within the bar of 24 steps the middle accent is on step 12, not on the tenth. But as you say, not quite important, and the points of change of chords/sounds play a big role in the final experience of the rhythm.