[quite slow] Don Maldini (MOD)

Started by Sam_Zen, October 17, 2006, 23:28:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Don Maldini - as usual a shorted version - 1:52 - 8 lofi samples - 12 channels.

apple-joe

Chaotic feel in general, which I like. Interesting ideas. However, if there is one person who frequently uses even more retro samples than me, that one person has to be you!

Oh, and do you have more tracks with non-4/4 rhythms?

Sam_Zen

I guess I have. Will check it out.
What do you mean by retro samples btw ?

apple-joe

Well, by retro samples I mean sounds that sound old. It's not a bad thing in general, but almost every track you create is based on that sound.

Do you experiment with VSTs? I should use VSTs a lot more myself. As you, I tend to spend much time on older sounding samples.

Sam_Zen

Well, I maybe they sound old, because I am too .. :)
One thing for sure, if I would make some of these modules now, I would use a much higher resolution of the samples.

I did experiment with VST-plugins, noticed that my ole set couldn't provide the power (stutter,etc) to use them properly, so I decided to stick to the basic concept with sample-files.
Besides that, I don't like the possible incompatibility of the tracks on other systems using plugins.
Plus the fact, that to me, most of the time a tracker-module isn't my final production of the song, but the 'raw' material. The production is made with a multitrack mixer, so I have the opportunity in that stage to add effects or other sources.

apple-joe

OK, when you mention it; I've read "Compo made in 1995" several times in your tracks. Well, that leads me into a new question; haven't you created that many  (new!) songs -recently- after all? That would surely explain the sound.

Oh, and there should also exist some all right sounding non-VST samples, more 'neutral' sounding -  a compromise between your "jurassic" samples and VST instruments. It wold definitely be interesting to hear a work with a different sound. That 'live improvisation' sequence which you uploaded a few weeks ago is a good example.

Sam_Zen

I must admit, that I composed much less new modules in the past five years, then before that. This came with the introduction of being able to burn my own albums on cd, I suppose. I started working mainly on the production aspects.
Plus maintaining my own website, etc.

I still use tracking a lot, but more in a 'hybrid' way. In combination with a multi-track mixer. So I might create only some rhythmic base with OMPT, not the whole song, and export channels to tracks in the mixer.
This is maybe a reason for this 'jurassic' sound, because most of the time, I keep my samples very 'dry'.