Direct linking

Started by Violette, October 09, 2006, 15:21:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Violette

Would anyone know of a free file hosting site that allows those who visit your link to automatically listen to, say, an mp3, instead of having to download it?
I used to know of such a site, but have forgotten it... Thanks....

LPChip

Streaming your music is possible at SoundClick.com

Its free, but has the following limitation:

Basic account (free): max mp3 upload size = 10 mb a song with a bitrate of max 128 kbps.

VIP account has a max of 40 mb a song with 320 kbps max.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Violette

Thank you LPChip... what about streaming other people's music?

LPChip

Quote from: "Violette"Thank you LPChip... what about streaming other people's music?

What do you mean with other people's music?

They have a legal policy that you cannot "share" commercial music, nor music with anything commercial in it, like samples. But if you want to share music done by you and a friend, you can create a band for the two of you, and release your music as such. Or if its just once, you can add it to your own page.

If its solely to share other scene artists, then I guess you'll need their permission, but then it'll be okay...

But again, what do you mean by others? :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Violette

*sigh* I shot myself in the foot, didn't I.

I want to put Balrog's Cybernetic Dreams on a blog of mine, hoping to have a link people can click and listen to it. Balrog seems to have disappeared from the mod scene, as I had to dig through modarchive.com's archives to find it, so I don't see how I'd need his permission. Even if I did, I don't know his email address.

I'd prefer not to use Soundclick just for that purpose!

LPChip

Since you've found it on modarchive, why not just link to there? No uploading needed, and best of all, no permission needed either.

True, they'll need to use winamp or xmplay or another module capable player, but atleast its the easiest solution.

Violette

Well, I thought more people would bother to listen to it if it was in mp3 format

LPChip

Quote from: "Violette"Well, I thought more people would bother to listen to it if it was in mp3 format

If they wanna listen, they will listen anyway right? Its important to mention near the link that winamp can play it too. That will make many people threat it as an mp3 file.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "Violette"Well, I thought more people would bother to listen to it if it was in mp3 format

If they wanna listen, they will listen anyway right?

I agree with Violet, more people are likely to listen to an mp3 than anything else.

Violette

Aye... I think my best option is to get permission. How does one go about doing that, considering the artist has no contact info?

Sam_Zen

I agree with LPChip. If one wants to listen, one takes care to handle the format.
BTW It maybe is the most common format at the moment, but I have to warn for the coming plans by the authorities to raise a tax on using the MP3-format.