[Group Project] 4pat1 (IT/MP3)

Started by speed-goddamn-focus, September 29, 2006, 21:49:41

Previous topic - Next topic

speed-goddamn-focus

An old MPC project starring Rewbs, LPChip, Georg, Atlantis, Goofy, Cyborg, Shadegate and me. Uploaded in case anyone wants to see what fun we had in the past, perhaps this can inspire to new co-ops. Read the instrument names to get a clue on what the project was about.

Download 4pat1

and the mp3 version

LPChip

Great posting!

Yeah, we had alot of fun in this project, but then again, it was a very good project. Many people learned from it, and the outcome is great.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

xaimus

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "xaimus"4pat2 :'(

I never really got the rules with 4pat2... We should have kept the same as in 4pat1, with the possible addition of deadlines. :)

Sam_Zen

The outcome is great indeed. A bit of an abrupt ending maybe.

A thing I miss in this structure is some solo sound once in a while. And I don't only mean some melodic phrase, but also the single appearance of sounds in a certain part, without being used any more.

Projects like this tend to grow bigger and bigger qua filesize because of added patterns and samples in the process.
To avoid this, I always look first at the material already available to eventually make some contribution.

So, to experiment with this solo-addition, in the Patterns tab, I took pattern 10 and set it in a loop.
I chose as 'Main instrument' sample 06 of LPChip : saw lead. Choosing the octave-range of the KB significant too.
Pattern 10 has a free channel at 16 (and more), so I placed the cursor there, in case I want to record something.
Illustration in these conditions :
Start the pattern-loop, type some string on the KB, then, if the sound has build up, go to the sample tab, and change the Loop-setting to 'off', and listen how the overlaps are building down.

xincbox

i really enjoyed listening to this, really good to see different peoples techniques with beats etc mixed into one tune

i'd love to take part another one of these

apple-joe

This is impressive. Among the most inspiring tracks I've listened to in a while.  
I presume this is what happens when you merge the styles of good musicians. It's very original, and very different, but I failed at recognizing one bad second, I think. I verily liked the harmonic movement, and I was instantly impressed by the bass line.

Is there more of this somewhere out there?

LPChip

Quote from: "apple-joe"Is there more of this somewhere out there?

Yup, in the shape of the participator's songs :)

Btw. Its not so that everyone worked on the song at the same time. People did 4 patterns, and then the next.

The bassline for example was made by me, which Goofy (I believe he was after me) continued to use, but changed the rest so it became a really impressive start.

Note that everyone had 2 turns, and not to forget that atlantis did a very good job on the final master!

I've included the original mp3 version in the openings post.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs