Can a non-musician get an honest critiquing about his music?

Started by Uhfgood, September 18, 2006, 23:36:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Uhfgood

My name is Keith, and I have created only one thread in here before.

Essentially i'm not really a musician.  I make games, and because I have no money have to do my own music.  So when I post my songs, will I get an honest crititquing, or am I going to be lambasted for not being a musician?

Secondly, where would I post links to my music to get critiqued by the community? Would it be under Free Music Downloads, or would that be for finished music?

I'm not a musician but i'd like to become a not-too-poor tracker.

Thanks for your time.
Keith

SoundCrafter

Of course. One nice thing about this community is that we're all relatively nice fellas.

Doesn't matter if you're a musician, although by creating music you are *somewhat* of a musician. Go ahead, post your stuff here. Hell, maybe we'll even help you be a better one.

:)
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

How can someone critic a non-musician's music? I mean... You make music which in my eyes makes you a musician. :)

As for unfinished songs, I'd recommend putting those in General Chatter. When you have a full finished song, you can place it in Free Music Downloads. If you state in your post that you're new, people will keep that in mind when giving you your review. We do want to be honest, but we usually give feedback someone can use. Don't feel offended by it though. It was ment for you to learn from.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Uhfgood

cyperkid

actually there are two types of people who could criticize your music

a] non-musicians/music consumers only - mostly they will answer that they like/dislike it (for personal reasons), not very constructive as far as i experienced over the years

b] from musicians (like you're a musician) - might be more detailed and could contain special hints - experienced to be very contructive, but also might hurt more than a commentary of the above mentioned quality (sometimes...)

it's up to you what you'd like to have

well...it's damn late, should go to bed  :lol:
commodore stole my childhood

xincbox

i was unsure at first, but i've had helpful, detailed feedback on almost every song i've posted so far.. and also learnt a few new things

Sam_Zen

Never mind being a musician or not. If you're a plumber, making a tracker module, it's fine by me.
The idea of some music being finished is an illusion.
So if you think, you've made a satisfying version of your work, Free Music Downloads is the place.
I don't pretend to be honest all the time by the way. Sometimes I have to give priority to the forum-etiquette..

Waxhead

cyperkid have a good point here. If you get a "review" from someone you consider a talented musician it might hurt a lot. I remember when I started making music A friend of mine mentioned that many of my tunes sound simmilar and that I was repeating myself. This actually hurted my feeling since I also recognized that I was in fact recycling my own material. For years I used to have a fear of repeating myself and even today I'm very careful to not repeat myself to much. Even if this spoiled some of my joy of creating music it also in some way improved my style so I'm glad that I got that comment or else I might have discovered (to late) what I was doing.
That beeing said I have noticed that many proffesional artists are repeating themself also. Have you ever noticed that you "know" who made the new tune you just heard without actually knowing it? This is because that particular artist have his own style and this means reuse of his favorite notes :) - So I learned that "recycling" is not a bad thing after all ;)

And as I se it: If you make music you can consider yourself a musician / composer :)

Uhfgood

I can handle real critizism.  So it's not a problem if it's constructive.  But since I have no real musical experience (well choir in jr high which is 6-8th grade here in the US -- but that doesn't count as I don't remember most of it ;-) -- I just wanted to know if I was welcome or not.

By the way I will probably through the course of learning tracking i'll probably also learn some real music fundamentals -- probably (not entirely sure where i'll start but i'll learn a few things if I can make the music better)

Thanks guys!

Sam_Zen

2 Waxhead
I recognize this feeling of repeating yourself, I've encountered it several phases during my work.

But it has more to do with the use of the same, established repertoire of tricks, effects, routines and code.

Quotemany proffesional artists are repeating themself also. Have you ever noticed that you "know" who made the new tune you just heard without actually knowing it?
If you mean a CD, with one hitsingle, filled up with some dummy-tracks, I see your point.
But not much wrong with having an own, recognizable style, method or sound. A singer has a voice with certain characteristics, so a listener will be able te recognize the singer. No reason to complain about the similarities.

Recycling sure isn't a bad thing, and the possibilities are huge. One can copy a note, a code, a sequence, a pattern,

LPChip

Quote from: "Uhfgood"I just wanted to know if I was welcome or not.

Lol, ofcource you are welcome. Why would there be such big community if it didn't allowed newcomers to try it for themselves? The more the merrier.

Its true that people that brag about their skills who have just started to track are in the wrong place, but those who are willing to learn (like you) will always be accepted. Not just here, but everywhere. Thats what the world is all about.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

XAVT

Quote from: "Uhfgood"Can a non-musician get an honest critiquing about his music?

No. You will be hang, decapitated and your head will become food for the crows at the end of a spike.

I`m not joking.

Seriously.
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "XAVT"
Quote from: "Uhfgood"Can a non-musician get an honest critiquing about his music?

No. You will be hang, decapitated and your head will become food for the crows at the end of a spike.

I`m not joking.

Seriously.

I hate when that happens to me.

XAVT

A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

LPChip

Which one? The one that gives me medical advice, or the one that wants me to be restrained in somekind of white jacket? :nuts: