Assign external midi msgs to a command

Started by LPChip, September 10, 2006, 17:58:57

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Everyone knows the famous key-preset manager.

Its a great feature.

I'd like to take this a step further.

It would be awesome to trigger certain events (doesn't have to be major though) to be triggered by midi messages.

It would go like this:

You press learn, make the midi message (eg. press a key/button on your external midi device) and mpt uses that to respond to.

Next you select from a list what to do when that event occurs, eg: start/stop, next pattern, next pattern after end of play, you know...

It would be awesome if there would be a feature to jump to order with number. This way, I can make patterns with a rythm, and make lists for mpt so if i press a C on my keyb, it will play the pattern with rythm C.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

mcstar

I'd like to also vote for this type of feature.  It would be nice if there was some kind of "realtime" mode, where you could use your midi keyboard to control the music directly.  For instance, I'd like to be able to map keys to patterns so I can control the patterns in real time.  This would allow me to synchronize playback of a set of patterns with a live performer to add accompaniment to their performance.  This would be something like what OMB (One Man Band) does  perhaps, but with mod instead of exclusively midi.  What Modplug tracker has over OMB is the ability to create your own patterns easily and use recorded samples.  Now if you had the realtime control, you could perform realtime mod synthesis, for backup of live performances.... oooo, that would be sweet!

Thanks for all the hard work on this product.

Sam_Zen

A nice idea indeed, although I don't have a MIDI keyboard.

2 mcstar
Part of the live performing already can be achieved manually, because some functions now have the option to change at the transition of the pattern. You can mute/unmute channels, and jump back and forth in the pattern-order without losing synchronized playback.
In this way I use some old laptop running on W98, with OMPT generic, as OMB..

pelya

You may achieve something like this with OpenMPT in VSTi slave mode - load 2 OpenMPTs where first will send messages from MIDI device to second one running as VSTi instrument to start/stop playback etc. Right now it is in pre-release state and can't jump to selected pattern, I'll fix it if the archive will be downloaded at least 5 times ::) .

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

nice idea.... we need more midi stuff in general
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

pelya

VSTi is temporary solution anyway, 'cause to handle some fancy MIDI message you should ask me to update VSTi code each time (I'll do that, of course, not very rapidly though). Probably something similar to key-preset manager should be added, with which user may assign e.x. MIDI keypress from C-3 to C-4 with volume from 50 to 80 to generate Volume command with value = keypress volume + Panning effect with value = note pitch, normalized across all value range. There is also after-touch volume commands generated by some MIDI controllers, MIDI wheels and pedals which also generate messages etc. etc.
Oh. Already 5 downloads - gone fixing VSTi.

Snu

oh man, id HAVE to buy a midi controller then!  that would be awesome.

LevonZOLTAR

it would be nice that you could also send midi to external synths , so you could use mpt as a sequencer . or is it possible already ???
...reveals that the artifact contained the spirit of an evil satanist, Levon Zoltar, who was slain by Nick's father. Now the dark sorcerer's spirit is trying to return with the help of his sons, one of whom, a macabre magician, becomes an earthly vessel for Zoltar's evil soul.

pelya

You may use VST2MID for that. MPT is not much of a sequencer though - you can only define 16 MIDI macros and cannot directly type MIDI CC code into pattern.