playing mods on a mobile phone

Started by Moonlite, August 29, 2006, 20:51:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonlite

I've had this idea in my head for quite some time:

Play .mod (and others) on a mobile phone.

Reasoning:
Most phones don't have a lot of bytespace to store MP3 music, but wheyhey! I have tons of nice small mods!
Playing your favourite mods everywhere you want or even with a ringtone would be great for a geek like me =)

I was hoping the mobile Java Virtual Machine could support a mobile ModPlug player.

There might be a problem, but I don't think it really is:
Maybe it takes more processing power than a phone can handle to play songs, even without equalizers and visualisations.

P.S.
I'm new here at MODplug, so I won't go into this too far, maybe it's been spoken about before, but I couldn't find anything using the forum search...

If it's been done before please just post a link to it and I'll shut up about it =)

SoundCrafter

Hello and welcome to the forums  :D

An interesting idea you have here. Unfortunately, I know nothing about Java or Mobile programming so can't answer your question.  However, most phones can support (Shit-quality) Mp3s. At the moment, that might be your only option. Or learning Java. Your call. (No pun intended)
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Snu

ive been looking for this too, and a tracker even (i found a decent sequencer tho).  
unfortunately, even if there is a java mod player ported, mod files still wouldnt be able to be used as ringtones... which would be very nice considering my phone only has 8mb of memory >_<

Pesho_Zmiata

My phone only plays midi and has a total of 512kb memory, so no thanks :)

anboi

i always thought this would be cool but phone technology moved too fast and went straight to mp3 ringtones etc. now there's no point in anyone bothering to do mod playing phones since you can put on whatever the hell you want with minimal fuss if you have any newer phone.

montes77

the closest thing that I've seen to anything like this is getting a mod played on a Nintendo DS.  Damn thing even had a tracker on it using both screens on the DS!  Speakers a little quiet tho....  After d/l a crappy version of Sonic 1 on my phone, I don't have much hope for programs on cell phones, although I know a guy who has gotten emulators to work on his, though the model of phone was more like a pda than your typical cell phone....