[Instrumental...] Discovery

Started by Joshiii-Kun, August 29, 2006, 08:19:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshiii-Kun

Gah, I'm really bad at thinking of titles XD
Anyway, here is my newest work. I was first working on a different song, but I just don't know what to do with it.....

This song was also made with the SGM-180 soundfont, sfz and Classic Reverb. And OpenMPT.
[Download]

xincbox

woah, this is great stuff. that flute line is really awesome, did you sample that yourself ? only thing i could say is that the beat could use a little variation, mainly the hihat line

i'd love to remix this, with your permission. any chance you could put up the openmpt file up ?

Joshiii-Kun

Haha, thanks for liking my music :) I personally found this track to be a little bit too repetitive. I have trouble with making variations ^^;

About the remix, well, I wouldn't mind, but the thing is that I use VST instruments and effects and a +/- 180MB big soundfont. That kind of answers the flute thing too, I used a soundfont. I didn't sample the flute line myself ^^;; I can't play flute at all.
So, the module is pretty small (since it doesn't have any samples stored in it), but it needs some external files, of which the soundfont is the biggest.

xincbox

hmm, well is there any way around this? guessing you won't be able to transfer me the bits without me having to wait for days downloading / you having to wait for days uploading.. or degrading the sound quality splitting stuff up and converting it into mp3s and such

LPChip

If you can settle with only the notes, he could remove the sound and send?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

xincbox

well i did like how that flute line sounded, i doubt i could get anything to sound the same. without that, it won't really be a remix.. just my crappy sounding cover!

MisterX

Quote from: "Joshiii-Kun"Gah, I'm really bad at thinking of titles

http://www.modplug.com/?page=title_generator

:)
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

Sam_Zen

This is a very friendly song.
The problem to remix a composition with plugins or specific soundfonts is the possible incompatibility.
The suggestion of LPChip about settling only the notes is a very interesting one. Because it brings up the question :
What's the real composition ? The actual codes in the patterns, or also the loaded instruments to play it ?
The word remix is referring too much to a kind of rebuilding the composition, while it is much more a 'performance' of the original.

apple-joe

Quote from: "MisterX"

Ehehe.  "Annoyed Harmony For No Reason"  - nice randomness.

Why didn't I notice thid one a little earlier? Great.

Anyway, gonna check out this song soon.

LPChip

Quote from: "xincbox"well i did like how that flute line sounded, i doubt i could get anything to sound the same. without that, it won't really be a remix.. just my crappy sounding cover!

You're wrong here actually.

The idea behind a remix is to alter the song in such way that it doesn't sound like the old, but still has the same pattern in it so you can recognise the original.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

xincbox

Surely it's a matter of opinion though? In my opinion, a good remix still has the essence of the original song, the most memorable part - in this it would be the great flute line. Remixes of songs that just play with the vocals and totally change the backing just don't do it for me.

I just wanted to put a more complex beat and a more 'involved' bassline over it, and maybe add some effects and alter the sequence a little.

Quote from: "MisterX"

'organised pillows in a bottle'  :lol:

MisterX

Quote from: "xincbox"'organised pillows in a bottle'  :lol:

See?  You probably would have never come up with that. ;)
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft

MisterX

Quote from: "apple-joe"Why didn't I notice thid one a little earlier? Great.

It was a part of the old site that was never ported to the new one until I saw the post about not being very good with song titles.
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft