webcasting

Started by Louigi Verona, July 05, 2006, 12:05:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

I decided to do a sort of a radio show and I found several webcast programms which give you full control over your virtual radio station, including volume, background music mixing, stuff like that.
However, all of these programms require actual streaming, so you have to connect to a certain website and stream your audio to listeners.
I want to do my radio show in a slightly different manner. I want to record it offline (but do it live, without post editing) and then just release an mp3. How can I do that and can I use programms such as SimpleCast or SAM BroadCaster to just record a show offline? Maybe there are other tools for that?
I am asking because I really like those programms, they offer all-in-one thing, you can manage playlists, mix songs together, configure volumes right away, so it's really neat. And I don't have neither the desire nor the possibility to do a show online.

LPChip

You're better of using programs like Audacity, Audition, SoundForge etc.

Just record what you want. If your soundcard has a "what you hear" option, record that. If not, record your voice, and mix in the songs (which will result in the highest quality). You can apply any effect over your mix etc.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

what's a 'what you hear' option?

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"what's a 'what you hear' option?

Modern soundcards allow you to record "what you hear".

This is an extra input device that basically is a mix of all input devices.

Normally you record wave, or stereo mix, or mp3 or what they call it. but now you select what you hear, so it both records, wave and mic in.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

Mine is called "Analog Mix" or "Stereo Mix" on my new card
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Sam_Zen

"what you hear" should be "what you hear at least". An output as a source again.
It becomes a submix-output added to the same final mixer.

Louigi Verona

Well, I don't have option on my soundcard.

However, I solved this problem by consulting people at SAM Broadcaster forums. They pointed out that in configuration you can set up a "No Server" option and just do the show to an mp3/wav/ogg/wma file and to your HDD. Yay! =)
This is very good news, because SAM is a wonderful piece of soft. Actually, it's a real studio! And very easy to do all the cueing, beat matching (saw that done the first time today, never knew you could do that with ANY tracks), volume adjusting, tempo adjusting, queue of tracks, sound effects panel, tracks categories, stream to multiple formats with multiple bitrates... Wow... I am really astonished and happy it can work in a "No Server" mode.