The Amiga resampler on OpenMpt

Started by Fantastic13579, June 19, 2023, 07:08:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantastic13579

I've started this few months ago, and quite satisfied by separating music's channels, analyzing each instruments, creating waveform vids. True happiness. But to the .mod file, it's not possible, but quite annoying. I can force-enable the amiga resampler, 4+channels by simply serparating channels at once. The amiga resampler works well till it's saved, closed, and re-opened. After that, at the default option, amiga resampler is gone. Tried with ready-made 8 channel .mods and editing, same results came. Not that amiga-ish sound at all. Already forgave with Githubs, Non-programmer's sadness :C.The work to recopy and paste every time when i have to test sounds is....bad. I know that there was a similar request before, but those slightly altered samples made me to sign up and post this. I'm uploading with an exmaple of this thing. There should be some people having the same feeling about this...
Resampled Version-
Non-resampled Version-

Saga Musix

The Amiga resampler is only available for modules that conform to Amiga limitations. 8-channel MODs are only playable with software mixing on the Amiga, it's a PC format. Hence the Amiga resampler is not available there. If you absolutely need to use an 8-channel MOD, you could set the interpolation algorithm to "No Interpolation" instead, export at a high sampling rate (192 kHz or higher) and then resample the output to 48 kHz using a high-quality resampler again to get similar results.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

02FD

The way I would accomplish this is by saving 2 copies of the module and removing channels 1-4 on one module and then removing 5-8 on the other. From there, you'd render each seperately with the Amiga resampler, and combine them in something like Audacity.

...That said, the Amiga resampler's performance concerns are no reason to prevent a knowledgeable user from doing this. A simple warning when enabling it would work fine. Though it's your decision in the end, saga, I don't exactly understand your aversion to allowing the user to enable it for, well, any module, really.

Saga Musix

It's not about performance. It's about the fact that parts of the code can only operate properly within the limitations of the Paula chip. This includes frequency range and lack of proper 16-bit or stereo sample support. I don't want people to rely on whatever is the current behaviour for these limitations and then write music assuming that it will always sound like that. Because most likely some of those limitations will be lifted at some point, or there will be a general BLEP-based resampler not based on the Amiga output characteristics.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.