Where to compose?

Started by KrazyKatz, June 21, 2006, 21:45:57

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKatz

I find that I need a goal in order to get composing. With too much freedom, I cant get much done.

So I look for compos to enter... but I'd like to work on a project with a little credit that requires a composer like someones portfolio, or an animation, or a game.

Would like to know if anyone can give me a direction.

Cheers.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

alpharomeo81

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"I find that I need a goal in order to get composing. With too much freedom, I cant get much done.

So I look for compos to enter... but I'd like to work on a project with a little credit that requires a composer like someones portfolio, or an animation, or a game.

Would like to know if anyone can give me a direction.

Cheers.

Try Orbiter Space flight simulator http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html and then go to http://www.orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=d to download the sound and some extra addons.

As you fly in space I bet you will find that the default music is a bit annoying, so you could make your own theme for space flight.

Sam_Zen

You don't need a goal for composing some elements together. Pick your material and just do it.
You prefer working with existing material. Then you are not in the role of a composer, but as a performer of
the composition. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of room for personal creativity and interpretation. Because we
are dealing with electronics here, so the repeat of a certain pattern is easily made, as muting an instrument.
As a performer you can even decide to replace an instrument-sample by another one.

So I offer the basic material of some compo, called Bull. Play around.

KrazyKatz

Sam Said - "Then you are not in the role of a composer, but as a performer of the composition"

First off, there is no such thing as a "performer of composition" If your'e saying that Im simply a performer, than I'd Encourage you to listen to some of my compositions... The question here is a goal... Thats all I was looking for. A guideline gives one a challenge and a direction.
Not a composer... Ha... Listen to some of my pieces, I just took first place in the Percussion Compo and wrote HERO for the MIMIC MUSIC COMPO.

As for the Electronics... I keep away for that and Primarily compose for Orchestra... Now please  take a listen to what I've done FROM SCRATCH and then you can call me a performer.

How Insulting..

Anyhow thanks for the comments fellows, I have allready found what Im looking for, Im composing for movies now.

Cheers.

Not a composer... Ha!
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Relabsoluness

I was about to write how strongly I disagree with Sam_Zen, but then I noticed that I (too?) had misread the post and thus the claim I disagreed with doesn't even exist there:
Quote from: "Sam_Zen"You prefer working with existing material. Then you are not in the role of a composer, but as a performer of
the composition.
The very first sentence there doesn't fit the subject for at least I understood that it was about composing with a clear goal for some predefined environment, not working with existing material. Still, the line between 'working with existing material' and 'composing from scratch' is quite blur.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "Sam_Zen"You prefer working with existing material. Then you are not in the role of a composer, but as a performer of
the composition.
The very first sentence there doesn't fit the subject for at least I understood that it was about composing with a clear goal for some predefined environment, not working with existing material.

I believe this sentence is confusing Sam_Zen:
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"So I look for compos to enter...

(competition vs composition)

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"there is no such thing as a 'performer of composition
I disagree. A composer can become a performer of his own composition by playing it back in a certain way.
The composition itself is a silent file.
By the way : There was surely no intention to insult, so if it appears that way, I'm sorry for the impression.
I used 'performer' not as some clown, but as director of an orchestra conducting some written symphony

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Still, the line between 'working with existing material' and 'composing from scratch' is quite blur.
I will try to deblur here. 'From scratch' means simply choosing 'new' in OMPT as a start of the composition.
Opening an existing module is another thing. The material is already there. The samples, the codes.
I consider the content of the patterns with the codes as the basic composition, not the used sounds, because they are instruments, and instruments can be replaced in the same composition.
And other sounds still can transmit the same core of the composition, so I call it a performance, a cover.

2 speed-goddamn-focus
I avoid the term 'compo' since :). Besides locally of course.