I do not have good samples

Started by Metro28, September 08, 2021, 04:02:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Metro28

I have good ideas to create good modules (NO CHIPTUNES >:(), but I do not have the right samples to create a good quality module.
That is the reason why I do a module every half month.

Question: Is there a free tool to create good quality samples?

Exhale

https://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=6680.msg48372#msg48372
This post has some links to software that can make samples, also I suggest you get to know the opl system in modplug (picture included showing how to initialise opl instruments in the sample editor), look at the built in midi sounds (second picture included), look into using free vsts (https://plugins4free.com/), and maybe look into sound fonts (which can also be downloaded all over the internet). And last but, by no means, least always remember that you can make a single pattern with something you have made in a vst, an opl or any other combination of the list I have made above and export it to a sample slot.

I admit I mostly use vsts and opls these days, I used to spend a lot of time with samples and I know my way around them like the back of my hand, but I have been enjoying the ability both vsts and opls give me to change (or just tweak) the whole character of a sound later on without all that much of an upset to the whole song, just as reference.

Good luck with your creations :)

Saga Musix

First off you need to be aware that there is not a single "one-size-fits-all" synthesizer that can produce any sound you like. That's simply not doable while keeping the synthesizer itself usable*. So as a first step you need to know what kind of sounds you want to generate, and in the second step you can look for suitable synthesizers. One synthesizer may be good at generating synth drum sounds, another synthesizer may be great for airy textures, yet another synthesizer might produce nice bell sounds. And most importantly, many sounds are simply difficult to synthesize, no matter how expensive your tools are. In that case, a good old recording of the sound is a better solution than a generator tool. That's how sample-based synthesizers work and that explains why they can offer such a rich palette of different sounds. You can also just take some free VST instruments and render some notes into sample, but again you need to know what kind of sound you're after because every VST plugin has its own sound.

* You could say node-based synthesizers (like Reaktor or 64klang) with a large variety of processing nodes are kind of an exception to this rule, because in the end you are building the synthesizer yourself with those nodes. But this can quickly get very complex and you really need to know what you're doing if you want predictable results.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Metro28

Quote from: Exhale on September 08, 2021, 04:48:17
https://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=6680.msg48372#msg48372
This post has some links to software that can make samples, also I suggest you get to know the opl system in modplug (picture included showing how to initialise opl instruments in the sample editor), look at the built in midi sounds (second picture included), look into using free vsts (https://plugins4free.com/), and maybe look into sound fonts (which can also be downloaded all over the internet). And last but, by no means, least always remember that you can make a single pattern with something you have made in a vst, an opl or any other combination of the list I have made above and export it to a sample slot.

I admit I mostly use vsts and opls these days, I used to spend a lot of time with samples and I know my way around them like the back of my hand, but I have been enjoying the ability both vsts and opls give me to change (or just tweak) the whole character of a sound later on without all that much of an upset to the whole song, just as reference.

Good luck with your creations :)

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 08, 2021, 08:04:34
First off you need to be aware that there is not a single "one-size-fits-all" synthesizer that can produce any sound you like. That's simply not doable while keeping the synthesizer itself usable*. So as a first step you need to know what kind of sounds you want to generate, and in the second step you can look for suitable synthesizers. One synthesizer may be good at generating synth drum sounds, another synthesizer may be great for airy textures, yet another synthesizer might produce nice bell sounds. And most importantly, many sounds are simply difficult to synthesize, no matter how expensive your tools are. In that case, a good old recording of the sound is a better solution than a generator tool. That's how sample-based synthesizers work and that explains why they can offer such a rich palette of different sounds. You can also just take some free VST instruments and render some notes into sample, but again you need to know what kind of sound you're after because every VST plugin has its own sound.

* You could say node-based synthesizers (like Reaktor or 64klang) with a large variety of processing nodes are kind of an exception to this rule, because in the end you are building the synthesizer yourself with those nodes. But this can quickly get very complex and you really need to know what you're doing if you want predictable results.

Thanks! :D