Movie Music Review.

Started by KrazyKatz, June 19, 2006, 23:27:32

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKatz

Hello Gentleman.

Since we share the love of music in common, and I have no freinds that can relate to my passion, I present unto you,
Film Music..

I ask of you to share a Movie you loved where you found the music stood out and give your thoughts and reccomendations.

I'll Open:

I recently saw "X-men The last stand" and was fascinated with the music of the score. It was so very intelligently constructed. Maddening complex strings backing up colourful woodwind undertones and percussion, and emphazied with dynamic brass. The Title theme absolutely had me spellbinded. I strongly suggest just seeing the beginning of the film to hear that opening theme. Admittedly the music is slightly better on the screen than on its own, but the brilliance of this score lies in the intelligence of its construction. The way all the instruments sections tell a seperate tale at the same time and when in combination still manage to coherently harmonize like cogs in the great machine is very difficult to achieve and will certainly be a goal of mine as a composer.

Would love to hear your thoughts..
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

So many good movies have so many good songs in them. Some aren't film music if that is what you're after.

For instance, In 2Fast 2Furious, and gone in 60 seconds. When they do stuff with cars, you hear those great drum 'n base tracks.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

XAVT

That`s easy, the best soundtrack ever made, as I`m sure those who have seen it agree, is from 'Requiem for a Dream'.
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

KrazyKatz

Generally speaking, whats considered to be the best soundtrack ever made is "Schindlers list".  Its haunting chill lives with you eternal.
Sonic Brilliance Studios

XAVT

That`s only because you`ve never seen Requiem ;)
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

erwat14

One of my favorite movie soundtracks ever is the music from Independence Day.  You know, the movie with Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum?  Invading aliens and stuff?  Anyway, many overlooked this soundtrack because of the movie's over the top effects and star power, but those incredible scenes would have been nothing without the score to accompany it.  Also, an honorable mention goes to "Band of Brothers."  Yeah it's a HBO mini-series, but it just seemed like a really long movie to me.  The music in this series was spectacular! :D
Hustle; loyalty; respect. . .
                 erwat14

My Original Game music: http://www.download.com/ervanwatersjr

LPChip

What about Star Wars?

True, its a famous song, but doesn't that say enough?

James bond too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

QuoteThat`s only because you`ve never seen Requiem

You have to recognise greatness over preference. What I mean is, whilst my one might prefer Schubert, one cannot let preference get in the way and say that he is better than Beethoven... Because Beethoven is clearly a more masterful composer whther you like him or not.

Requiem may appeal to your tastebuds, But in the world of film music "Schindlers List" is undoubtedly considered one of the greatest ( if not the greatest ) compositions in the history of the entire Film music industry.

Talking about Schindlers list, the same composer ( John Williams) wrote for Starwars, and Superman, and Indianna Jones and ET and tons others, he indeed re-innovated the way that music was being constructed in the Movie industry. Whilst hes not a favourite of mine, One can only take ones hat off to his mastery and virtuosity of his proffesion.
Sonic Brilliance Studios

Louigi Verona

DON'T LAUGH, BUT i LOVE Back To The Future soundtrack and Beetlejuice.

xaimus

A Night at the Roxberry (sp)

apple-joe

LPChip

I dunno about you guys, but this is turning into a word spamming thingy, and not really a discussion.

If there's nothing to discuss, perhaps its better not to respond? Or give a good reason why its valuable to the topic?

KrazyKatz

Back to the future is an Outstanding Soundtrack! .One of my definite favourites. Its by Alan Silvesti who also composed the hearlifting Forrest Gump soundtrack. If you like BTTF I strongly reccomend hearing out the Xmen 3 Theme
As for Braveheart, I personally dislike James Horner rather immensly but his overwhelming success with movies like Titanic make him one of the highest paid composers out there up.

Ive noted no-one has yet mentioned the Psycho soundtrack...
Sonic Brilliance Studios