Author Topic: Would it be possible to live-loop w/ guitars & bass?  (Read 240 times)

Offline Grid

• Shy artist
  • Operating System: Windows 10
Would it be possible to live-loop w/ guitars & bass?
« on: July 11, 2020, 13:25:43 »
I love the way Trackers work and ever since I started getting into OpenMPT and trackers overall about a year ago, I've long felt way more comfortable, skillful, and interested in them than I am with DAWs - at least for making electronic-oriented music, predominantly breakcore and IDM.
Despite that, on the side I play with a band, and I like to play guitar and bass myself and often make music that use those instruments, played live, or looped / recorded. I've found ways to make this work with Reaper and FL Studio, but I've been wanting to program breaks & sounds with a Tracker instead, routing all of my live looping through it instead.
I know I can pre-record a sample and then put it in a pattern and so on, but I'm wondering if there's any way I could just leave the program looping in the background with some drum patterns or keys, and play/jam over it recording my bass lines and guitar melodies over it just overdubbing them so I can make a song or a jam with myself on the go.
I'm not sure if there's any way to do this but I haven't found anything and I can't figure out a way for it myself. I really like working on purely electronic music in OpenMPT but I was wondering if ways I could implement my real live playing into it, aside from just sampling and mangling my own pre-made recordings. Cheers!

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Re: Would it be possible to live-loop w/ guitars & bass?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 14:44:28 »
This isn't something OpenMPT can do by itself, and even though recording is planned to be added at some point, it would probably not support traditional a looper setup. Maybe there are VST plugins though that can do that, I would try to research that.
ยป No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.