Author Topic: Open ModPlug Player  (Read 178 times)

Offline sunshine

• Shy artist
Open ModPlug Player
« on: February 08, 2020, 20:48:00 »
Hello,
I have been developing Open ModPlug Player, and I want to contribute my code to ModPlug Central, and I want my project to be a part of Open MPT. I also want to be a contributor of Open ModPlug Tracker & Player.

Can you please accept my contribution?

Open ModPlug Player is based on LibOpenMPT, Qt, PortAudio, and supports Windows, macOS and Linux natively. It is currently in alpha stage, but 40% of its development was done.

By the way, I am planning to add spectrum analyzer this week.

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Re: Open ModPlug Player
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 20:37:10 »
Hi there,
Quite frankly, your wish is the exact opposite of our current development intentions. libopenmpt currently comes with several player plugins in its source tree, but the additional development burden is just too much for us, so we intend to give them back to the community where possible (as already happened with the Foobar2000 plugin, which is now officially maintained by kode54). Having even more software built on top of libopenmpt in our code repository would thus just contradict of our long-term goal.

Of course you are welcome to submit patches to OpenMPT / libopenmpt and contribute to its development, but I'm afraid that we cannot have yet another player in our code repository. You are of course welcome to develop your player outside of the OpenMPT repository  like all the other players using libopenmpt (and of course we can add your player to this list once it's public), but I would prefer if you chose a different name to not give the impression that it is an officially endorsed or OpenMPT-derived software.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline sunshine

• Shy artist
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 20:42:01 »
Thanks for the information Saga Musix. Can I use "ModPlug Player" name and the graphical design of original ModPlug Player for my player? I already have a code repository on GitHub, and I am planning to make all the codes public when my application becomes to beta phase.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 20:46:46 by sunshine »

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 10 x64
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 21:25:14 »
You would have to ask Olivier (the original author) about that, I guess, however I don't think that choosing the same name as an existing software is going to make the situation any better for anyone. MPP in particular doesn't have a good reputation for this playback quality these days (which makes sense given that it as last updated almost 20 years ago), and you would just taint your own software with this reputation if you were giving it the same name. Why not use a completely different name?

On an unrelated note, I see you are trying to make an exact copy of the original MPP but I think many of the options present there are outdated or simply not useful. A modern player probably doesn't need any bit depth configuration and no option to configure the amount of buffers. The "headphones" option also doesn't make a lot of sense since the particular code path that was used for this in MPP isn't even exposed by libopenmpt (it changed the way panning works).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline sunshine

• Shy artist
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 21:53:45 »
Thank you very very much for your precious comments and recommendations Saga Musix. You are right so much. I also consider to implement a skinning feature.  It would be better to design a completely new Module Player application. It will also have some new features like scope display.
An exact copy of a very old application is not a good idea :)

If I can have some more spare time, I will want to take a part on the development of OpenMPT software in the future.