Envelope carry

Started by FWL, January 05, 2020, 14:32:05

Previous topic - Next topic

FWL

Hello everyone,

For starters best wishes!

..... and I have a few questions regarding openmpt

1.   I can't seem to figure out how to get the 'envelope carry' to work. Which settings/conditions/combination of both are needed to stop retriggering the envelope?
My expectation of the function is that i could use it for example as filter automation with the envelope the same length as the pattern, but maybe my expectation are wrong. I don't have the new note action set to cut, i trigger the same instrument but i can't get it to work.

2 Is there a way to have a static pitch offset (so, no portamento etc) in the pattern editor, besides the pitch dictated by the note value and samplemapping? Maybe i can clarify what i mean by an example. When you have a instrument with a chromatically layed-out drumkit, the note value column decides which sample is triggered. But if you also want to change the pitch of this triggered sample during the pattern to add some sonic variation I can't think of an easy way. Now I sometimes set the pitch envelope to a constant value and then change the pitch on a certain row via the effect 'pitch envelope on/off' in the pattern editor. I could of course make a separate instrument of each drumsound or change the samplemapping of the instrument with more than one note/key assigned to each sample but then I would lose the compact layout of the kit on my qwerty-keyboard.

3 Would it be a viable idea to have the ability to link columns so that changes in one column are automatically copied/updated in the linked column? This would make parrallel processing like a send to a reverb much easier. You could use the channel volume on the linked channel as your send level. I know that this isn't trackerstyle efficient use of data and that expanded audio routing capabilities are part of the roadmap. But maybe it's a nice tool for now.

Thanks in advance!

My system: windows 10 64 bit

Saga Musix

Quote from: FWL on January 05, 2020, 14:32:05
1.   I can't seem to figure out how to get the 'envelope carry' to work. Which settings/conditions/combination of both are needed to stop retriggering the envelope?
My expectation of the function is that i could use it for example as filter automation with the envelope the same length as the pattern, but maybe my expectation are wrong. I don't have the new note action set to cut, i trigger the same instrument but i can't get it to work.
Without seeing the specific patterns, samples and instruments it's a bit difficult to diagnose but if the sample just happens to stop at approximately the same place where the new note is triggered, or if the volume envelope reaches its end (and ends in silence), then those conditions could cause the instrument to be stopped before envelope carry can kick in. Envelope carry only works if the previous note is still playing. There are various ways to work around this in the situations described above, e.g. by adding a bit of (looping) trailing silence to the sample, or to extend the volume envelope with a few ticks of silence.

2 Is there a way to have a static pitch offset (so, no portamento etc) in the pattern editor, besides the pitch dictated by the note value and samplemapping? Maybe i can clarify what i mean by an example. When you have a instrument with a chromatically layed-out drumkit, the note value column decides which sample is triggered. But if you also want to change the pitch of this triggered sample during the pattern to add some sonic variation I can't think of an easy way. Now I sometimes set the pitch envelope to a constant value and then change the pitch on a certain row via the effect 'pitch envelope on/off' in the pattern editor. I could of course make a separate instrument of each drumsound or change the samplemapping of the instrument with more than one note/key assigned to each sample but then I would lose the compact layout of the kit on my qwerty-keyboard.
Not really, but another possibility to add a limited amount of temporary detuning would be to use a fine portamento (FFx / FEx). "Classic" tracker samplers are rather "static" in this regard.

3 Would it be a viable idea to have the ability to link columns so that changes in one column are automatically copied/updated in the linked column? This would make parrallel processing like a send to a reverb much easier. You could use the channel volume on the linked channel as your send level. I know that this isn't trackerstyle efficient use of data and that expanded audio routing capabilities are part of the roadmap. But maybe it's a nice tool for now.
It would be a nice idea not but is currently not on our roadmap. Another thing that is on the roadmap (...for about ten years now) is modular plugin routing, however, which might also solve this particular problem. But don't expect that to be done anytime soon, too. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FWL

Hello Saga,

Thanks for your reply!

Ad 1. I've got it to work and it was indeed the length of the volume envelope that was the problem.

Ad2. I will try this method. But I think for drumsounds it will be too slow?

Ad3. I understand, and Openmpt is great as is and free so no expectations or complaints here :-)

Saga Musix

Quote from: FWL on January 05, 2020, 16:55:49
Ad2. I will try this method. But I think for drumsounds it will be too slow?
Fine and extra fine portamento are only applied on the first tick of the row, so the effect is heard instantly. This comes at the expense of a limited range, you can only pitch up and done by approximate a semitone.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.