Effect plugins questions

Started by Rylo, May 31, 2006, 21:33:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Rylo

Apologies if this has been asked before...

I have been experimenting with some effects plugins as recomended on sticky thread and have to say they are very good! What I would like to be able to do is turn off an effect at a paticular time in the song. Is this possible?

For example, I would like to apply delay to a channel at the start of my song and then cut the delay effect out 4 patterns later. Is this possible? I thought it might be possible by editing one of the variable numbers you can input next to the:

C-3 xx xxx

Thanks in advance!

Rylo

LPChip

Yes that is possible.

In order to control parameters of VST effects, you need to use the midi macro (Zxx) effect.

In this particular quest, you'd be looking to control the wet/dry ratio for that plugin, which basically amplifies its effect. (for VSTi's, this acts as volume, for delay this acts as how much delay you have)

First you'd need to setup the midimacro to control the wet/dry ratio. To do that, go to the midi macro setup [Zxx] button on the pattern editor tab.

Select what effectslot you want to use, eg SF1, and set its type to Plugin Dry/Wet Ratio. Press okay.

If you altered anything than SF0, you need to give an initial command of that effectslot. Eg: if you did SF4, you need to give an SF4 effect, which will indicate that Zxx will control using whatever was defined at SF4.
Once done, the values from 00 to 7F will control your wet/dry ratio.

example:

--- .. .. SF4
--- .. .. Z7F  <-- full use of plugin
--- .. .. .00
--- .. .. Z3F   <-- plugin at half strength
--- .. .. .00
--- .. .. Z00   <-- plugin bypassed/muted.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Rylo

LPchip, many thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid I don't fully understand your answer!  :?  :cry:

I have opened the [Zxx] button on the editor tab and it brings up the following screen:

I can't see where I am supposed to select the effect slot and set its type to Plugin Dry/Wet Ratio. :?

I have assigned the delay effect to FX1: Classic Delay under the general > effects plugins tab.

Again, thanks for your help!

Rylo  :)

LPChip

Oh my bad... I assumed you were using the latest version of OpenMPT, but it seems you are using the old MPT 1.16 version.

I'd recommend trying OpenMPT though. Although it is slightly different, it offers much more functions.

For instance, it offers you a wet/dry slider to control in the first place...

I'd need more information about the plugin to see if you can do it in 1.16, cus in this case, you need to control one of the plugin parameters. Since this is different per plugin, its something I can't tell you right now.

But then again, the easiest way is to try OpenMPT. Note: you can run OpenMPT next to MPT 1.16, and switch.

To install OpenMPT, download the RC2, and if desired, download the latest beta and copy the file over the old RC2 file.

Although you can find this in the xwiki, it doesn't say how to install the latest beta if no RC2 was installed :( I think I should edit that.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Rylo

I guess I have been using MPT alot longer than I thought!  :lol:

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the latest version. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out my problem with the plugins!

Thanks

Rylo

LPChip

I'm sure you will ;) Glad I could help tho. :)

Rylo

Ahhh! Fantastic! it worked exactly as you described, thanks LP!

I do have one more question though!  ::) (last one I promise!)

Is it possible to control different parameters of the effects plugin with the Zxx command? For example, I have an effect which alters the 'bandwith' (?) I.E you can set it to very low pass all the way up to high pass, as you would hear in many modern dance music songs. I'd like to be able to control this feature as it would be great for making more variations to my song.

Thanks (again!)  :lol:

Rylo

LPChip

Quote from: "Rylo"Ahhh! Fantastic! it worked exactly as you described, thanks LP!

I do have one more question though!  ::) (last one I promise!)

Is it possible to control different parameters of the effects plugin with the Zxx command? For example, I have an effect which alters the 'bandwith' (?) I.E you can set it to very low pass all the way up to high pass, as you would hear in many modern dance music songs. I'd like to be able to control this feature as it would be great for making more variations to my song.

Thanks (again!)  :lol:

Rylo

Usually this is possible. It depends on the question wether your plugin allows this to be controlled. If it does, then you need to map an effectslot (like SF5) to that plugin's parameter. Its not easy to understand that, especially without knowing the plugin. MPT has this learning feature, you might get it with that, but I don't know how it works exactly.