Author Topic: How does OpenMPT's audio pipeline work?  (Read 566 times)

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Re: How does OpenMPT's audio pipeline work?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 13:52:36 »
Does OpenMPT preview audio immediately when keys are pressed, even in the middle of a tick?
OpenMPT immediately allocates a channel and fills it with the required information, but the list of active voices (which is probably not something you have in the NSF scenario) that is used by the mixer is not updated to contain this new channel until the next tick is processed. This is mostly for simplicity reasons because in reality a bit more has to be done than just inserting the channel into that list, and the code that does this "a bit more" stuff is not meant to be run more than once per tick (because it does all sorts of updates to all active channels).
As a result, if you have very long ticks you will not hear the previewed note instantly, but given that this is a rather unlikely scenario to happen, this architectural trade-off is probably not too bad.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline nyanpasu64

• Shy artist
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 00:13:04 »
- I tried building OpenMPT. I had to upgrade the Windows 10 SDK to 17763.
- Also I disabled Spectre mitigations using sed. It's extra work to install Spectre-mitigated libraries. Also, I tried and failed to install Spectre-mitigated libraries and MFC, as (if I recall) Spectre-mitigated MFC didn't exist for the latest SDK or compiler I was using. I can't imagine that OpenMPT could be a useful target (or attacker?) for Spectre attacks.

Also how does OpenMPT allow entering notes into patterns, while the pattern is being read by the sequencer/synth? Does it use locks to ensure only the audio thread is reading, or UI is reading or writing? I'm reading Sndmix.cpp now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 00:22:23 by nyanpasu64 »

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 11:47:44 »
- I tried building OpenMPT. I had to upgrade the Windows 10 SDK to 17763.
I suppose you mean you had to update the SDK in the project file? Yes, this is a bit messy because I think you cannot just tell MSVC to use any Windows 10 SDK available. It's simpler to build the Windows 7 variant of OpenMPT as there is no SDK version ambiguity in that case.

- Also I disabled Spectre mitigations using sed. It's extra work to install Spectre-mitigated libraries. Also, I tried and failed to install Spectre-mitigated libraries and MFC, as (if I recall) Spectre-mitigated MFC didn't exist for the latest SDK or compiler I was using. I can't imagine that OpenMPT could be a useful target (or attacker?) for Spectre attacks.
While it might not be a very realistic target, it makes sense deploying Spectre mitigations in all software, plus libopenmpt may be used in contexts where Spectre mitigation does matter - we have no control over that.

Also how does OpenMPT allow entering notes into patterns, while the pattern is being read by the sequencer/synth? Does it use locks to ensure only the audio thread is reading, or UI is reading or writing? I'm reading Sndmix.cpp now.
There is a critical section (mutex) around the audio rendering (see CMainFrame::SoundSourceLock / CMainFrame::SoundSourceUnlock) and any editing actions that may modify the CSoundFile object in a that touches any internal pointers (e.g. moving / deleting child objects such as instruments). Editing simple attributes such as sample volume or similar does not require a mutex.

Note that depending on the data access scheme (i.e. if a lot of concurrent reads are expected from more than one thread, but only few writes), a shared mutex with the option of exclusive locking may be more efficient. This means that concurrent reads won't have to wait for each other, they would just have to wait if some write operation locks the mutex exclusively. OpenMPT's CSoundFile lock may move into that direction in the future in particular due to the planned scripting API.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:53:52 by Saga Musix »
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.