Multi-sampled instruments - Where/how to get them? [solved]

Started by Alumae, August 20, 2019, 21:43:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Alumae

Where do I get those instruments that have multiple samples that play at different pitch ranges that help the instrument stay sounding natural even when it goes really high up or down?

I've been seeing them in other project files and idk where people get them. Are they from synthesizers? If so, how would you get an instrument from a synth you own?
"I've never heard of a game where you see sounds or whatever, but... it might be cool, let's do it!"

(Profile picture is drawn by LilyBlizz)

Saga Musix

Generally they come from the same sources as single samples, but are naturally more work to create. I create all my multi-samples from a variety of hardware synthesizers using Extreme Sample Converter (it can do VST plugins, too). There I export them as SFZ files as that's pretty much the only format that OpenMPT is interoperable with. I'm sure you will find some free SFZ files online but SFZ is also the backing format for many commercial sound libraries (but many of those SFZ files are too complex for OpenMPT to handle), in particular for acoustic instruments.

I also have a large variety of multisamples from hardware synthesizers available at ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/users/sagamusix/samples/
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Alumae

"I've never heard of a game where you see sounds or whatever, but... it might be cool, let's do it!"

(Profile picture is drawn by LilyBlizz)

LPChip

I got my collection by searching for sbk, sfz, sf2, soundfont bank, general midi sounds, to name a few search terms. Keep in mind that there are converters to convert between the various formats. There is even the sfpack format which is basically a zipped format of an sfz or sf2 file which you can extract using sfpack. The only downside with sfpack is that the samples are stored with a compression algorithm similar to mp3, so the quality is slightly reduced, but the filesize is significantly reduced too.

I have 200mb general midi banks that have amazing sounds. I can use it with my soundcard to play .mid files nicely, but I can also use the same bank with VSTi plugins to play an individual instrument from that huge bank. Do keep in mind that if this is your approach, your song will utilize a lot of memory that is usually not necessary.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

michaelmd101

Quote from: Fodder on August 20, 2019, 21:43:44
Where do I get those instruments that have multiple samples that play at different pitch ranges that help the instrument stay sounding natural even when it goes really high up or down?

I've been seeing them in other project files and idk where people get them. Are they from synthesizers? If so, how would you get an instrument from a synth you own?

you can slso create them in openmpt - doubleclick on the "sample map" on the right side of the intrument edit view.

(this opens a dialog where you can assign note ranges to any sample that exist in your module)

re/ intrument from your (hardware) synth - record the sounds you want (Audacity is nice for that) ... save as wav (or anything else openmpt can read) ..

create a new instrument (top left button on the instrument view)
load your recorded sample into the instrument ...

For adding more samples to that instrument go to the sample view - create and import each sample there  - then assign note ranges in your instrument to those samples using the sample map edit dialog I mentoned above.

its pretty easy once you know where to look :-)

Saga Musix

Quoteyou can slso create them in openmpt - doubleclick on the "sample map" on the right side of the intrument edit view.
For that you still need the source material - mapping the samples to different keys is an easy (but tedious) task, but OpenMPT cannot help you with getting ahold of those samples. You say it's easy but in reality, creating a good, multisampled instrument is a lot of work that requires a lot of finetuning. Which is probably why most multisampled stuff isn't free.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.