Pattern row number indication

Started by Sam_Zen, May 31, 2006, 02:15:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

I was used to view a string of patterns in a row like "2-3-4-2-2-5-3-4" or such. A clear view on what's going on.

Now, if I duplicate a pattern in the row, or make a new pattern to paste the content of an existing pattern, the number of the pattern is not the same, but gets the next free number in the row.
This confuses things unnecessary i.m.o.

speed-goddamn-focus

Do you mean you want two different patterns with the same pattern number?

Sam_Zen

No, not different. I would prefer to have patterns with exactly the same content to have the same number.

MisterX

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"No, not different. I would prefer to have patterns with exactly the same content to have the same number.

I guess that the issue is when you "duplicate" a pattern, the Tracker assumes that you will change the content of it, as opposed to repeating a pattern, in which case you can just enter the proper pattern number in the sequencer.

Perhaps part of the "cleanup patterns" routine could detect duplicate patterns with different pattern numbers and assign them the same one, if it doesn't already do so.
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

victimofconspiracy

If you want to have multiple instances of one pattern to have the same number, instead of duplicating the pattern, you can use the insert pattern command. If you right click on the pattern you want to duplicate, and click "insert pattern", it will duplicate it with the same pattern number.

Sam_Zen

Great. Thanks guys. This makes the editing much easier.
In case of just a wanted replica of a a pattern I can use the R-click insert way, while if I want to have the same content with some slight changes, or something added, duplication suits fine, with of course a new pattern-number.

2 MisterX
I just checked this "cleanup patterns" routine.
So in a song with 29 different patterns, duplicating nr. 6 added nr. 30 after it.
The detection appeared right, but the result was not that pattern 30 gets the nr. 6 too, but it was removed from the list...

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 MisterX
I just checked this "cleanup patterns" routine.
So in a song with 29 different patterns, duplicating nr. 6 added nr. 30 after it.
The detection appeared right, but the result was not that pattern 30 gets the nr. 6 too, but it was removed from the list...

As far as I know, the cleanup patterns just removes unused patterns, and rearranges the existing ones.

this means that putting 30 after 6, will change 30 to 7, 7 to 8 etc...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

If you want to duplicate a pattern, all you have to do is click on the next open pattern slot and type the number of the pattern that you want repeated. For example, if you want pattern 2 to repeat, go to the next open pattern slot and type a 2 in it. I will forewarn you of one thing that you should be aware of before doing that though. If you repeat a pattern then change it, it will also change the original pattern with the same number. It links to what they teach you in math class.

What you do to one side of the equation, you must do to the other to balance it. It works the same way with Modplug Tracker. What you do to one pattern, Modplug Tracker does that same thing to its duplicate.

I am playing my second game of super Mario world now. I am on Yoshi's Island 1 again. I have five lives again too. Remember these things: Kasey Kelly is the weirdest and Paul Henne is the weirdestest (four times weirder than Kasey is)!

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "LPChip"the cleanup patterns just removes unused patterns, and rearranges the existing ones.
this means that putting 30 after 6, will change 30 to 7, 7 to 8 etc..
Nice ! I wasn't aware of that option, so didn't check it. But this implicates, that the function 'cleanup patterns' includes the function 'rearrange patterns' as well.

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"it will also change the original pattern with the same number. It links to what they teach you in math class.
No math class needed for that. Common sense is enough. This is why I can choose for 'duplicate pattern' in case I want to change someting of the copied content, because the new pattern will get the next highest number, so no original will be edited as well.
But the point was : how to make sure that a pattern gets the same applied number if the content is exactly the same.
Which is solved in the meantime I suppose.