VST's differences with different resampling frequencies

Started by LPChip, May 26, 2006, 07:27:46

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I've been tracking quite some time now at 96000 hz. My system is pretty well capable of doing so, and I can use many plugins without getting to performance issues.

I hear you thinking, thats great isn't it? why complaining?

Well I was tracking for quite some time in this setting, and things are great, if it wasn't that I can easilly get better quality in 48000 hz. :shock:

Its very weird, but the standard mastering rules like basedrum at 100hz etc, do not apply in 96000 and neither do I seem to be able to find the right frequency that does work. I'm not so sure that this is a bug, but its something worth investigating I think.

Does anyone else experience this?

Also: With VSTi's they all sound alot different when going from 96000 to 48000. For instance, there's a sound in crystal that sucks at 48khz where it sounds quite good at 96khz.

I'd also like to find out why this happens, so we might be able to put an 48khz emulating mode while using 96000, cus 96000 mode results in less noise.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Okay... No reaction or what so ever...

Makes me wondering if I'm the only one that experiences this.

Can anyone willing confirm that this is not just me?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

victimofconspiracy

I have had the same issue. The first time I noticed it was a few months ago, with the 4Front Piano VSTi.

Snu

i have noticed that switching the mixing frequency while vsts are loaded kinda screws up the sound of them, but closing the file and reopening fixes that (that might be fixed in a recent build i dunno).  i dont switch frequencies much, i pretty much stick to 96khz.

LPChip

Quote from: "Snu"i have noticed that switching the mixing frequency while vsts are loaded kinda screws up the sound of them, but closing the file and reopening fixes that (that might be fixed in a recent build i dunno).  i dont switch frequencies much, i pretty much stick to 96khz.

Well, that doesn't work in my case.

If I set parameters in a parametric EQ, whatever I do, it always sounds different in 48khz compared to 96khz. In fact, I can't get the same sound in 96khz by changing settings.

Snu

Quote from: "LPChip"
If I set parameters in a parametric EQ, whatever I do, it always sounds different in 48khz compared to 96khz. In fact, I can't get the same sound in 96khz by changing settings.

sounds like it is a crappy coded eq which bases the eq settings on the rendering frequency instead of true frequencies...

LPChip

Quote from: "Snu"

sounds like it is a crappy coded eq which bases the eq settings on the rendering frequency instead of true frequencies...

Hmm, if thats true then its a big shame, cus the plugin is very good. I'll do some more experimenting with this, cus it sure is a good thing to play with.

speed-goddamn-focus

do you have any of mpt's or your soundcard's own sound processing options turned on?

LPChip

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"do you have any of mpt's or your soundcard's own sound processing options turned on?

Uh, can you clarify what you mean by this? Cus I probably have it enabled (if I only knew what I had enabled in the first place :nuts:)...

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"do you have any of mpt's or your soundcard's own sound processing options turned on?

Uh, can you clarify what you mean by this? Cus I probably have it enabled (if I only knew what I had enabled in the first place :nuts:)...

Well your X-Fi probably have various "enhancers" and I don't know maybe the MPT equalizer, bass boost and stuff don't agree with 96kHz? If you try the plugs in another piece of software, do you get the same result?

LPChip

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"

Well your X-Fi probably have various "enhancers" and I don't know maybe the MPT equalizer, bass boost and stuff don't agree with 96kHz? If you try the plugs in another piece of software, do you get the same result?

Ah, I can set the soundcard to different modes (like 96khz or 48khz, and its possible to apply eq etc.)

I don't think that this is altering this behavor though. I haven't really played with this plugin in different programs, but I'll try that, and see what happens.

EDIT: Its also wrong in Fruitty Loops, in the same manner as in MPT. So I guess its plugin related.

Perhaps it is taken into account, that when switching between samplerates, my soundcard automatically switches accordingly?

Eg: setting 96khz asio in mpt will also set my soundcard to that resolution.

EDIT2: here's an example of what I hear, made in Fruity Loops. The exact same thing happens in MPT: http://lpchip.com/sharing/48vs96test.rar

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"EDIT2: here's an example of what I hear, made in Fruity Loops. The exact same thing happens in MPT: http://lpchip.com/sharing/48vs96test.rar
Well, there's definitely more bass in the 96kHz version. If you're writing the output directly to a file I guess it has to be the plug.

LPChip

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "LPChip"EDIT2: here's an example of what I hear, made in Fruity Loops. The exact same thing happens in MPT: http://lpchip.com/sharing/48vs96test.rar
Well, there's definitely more bass in the 96kHz version. If you're writing the output directly to a file I guess it has to be the plug.

Its possible. I checked one of their newest plugins (new version of that eq, with different name and better options, and shareware:P) and has this same "bug".

I guess I have to check this behavor with other brand plugins, to exclude my soundcard for being the cause.

Do you know any plugin that does do it the right way?

EDIT: Okay, It seems to be this plugin. I applied NWEQ 1.21 and it seems to do it the same in both modes. Too bad that this plugin sucks :P

I guess I have to write a mail to the owners of that plugin then.

Rakib

can say it is the reason why I swithed back 44.1kHz
^^

xaimus

I'll have to test this with other plugins.

Sadly, MPT "wild" doesn't do 96000Hz.  :(