Asus Eee PC 4G Surf

Started by pedroabreu77, September 13, 2017, 17:59:27

Previous topic - Next topic

pedroabreu77

Is it possible to scale down the OpenMPT's gui so that it fits in the Asus Eee Pc 4G's little screen?

Saga Musix

According to a random internet article the display resolution is 800x480, which is way too little in height. OpenMPT is designed for 800x600 or higher, which is already a very small resolution. You can probably partially work around the problem by hiding the tree view (Ctrl+F2) and dynamically using the vertical splitter that divides every tab into an upper and low half, but apart from these workarounds OpenMPT has no mode specifically for such low resolutions.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

pedroabreu77

Yes, that netbook has an odd design with the speakers on the sides of the screen.

Thanks for the info ;-)

manx

In case you have not figured them out yourself already, a couple of more (mostly obvious) hints:

• auto-hide the windows taskbar
  • use a classic windows theme and reduce scrollbar, window border and window title sizes
  • you can drag the OpenMPT toolbar from the top of the window, resulting in a floating window toolbar which frees up even more vertical space

It might be worthwhile for us (if simple enough) to add a hidden option to hide the status bar in OpenMPT.

But as Saga Musix already said, 800x480 is too low a resolution for us to consider when designing the GUI. I own an Eee PC 1000H myself, so I can regularly try OpenMPT in 1024x600, but 800x480 is a significant step down even from that resolution.

pedroabreu77

LPChip

I don't know what windows this Eee PC runs, but if it doesn't run windows 10, you can apply a DPI hack and set it to anything lower than 100% and it will work. I would suggest not going lower than 80% because below that it will become very hard to read text, but it might make that little difference.

Changing the DPI to a lower value than 100% requires a registry tweak and a reboot, and for that reason is not without risk. So if you go this route, only do it if you are comfortable around the registry editor. Any failure as a result from not being careful enough is on you.

A typical thing that can happen is a way too high DPI setting making it so that you have one char that fits the whole screen and thus can't do anything anymore, or text that is too small to read. Either cases will make it hard to undo if you don't know enough of pc's. So I guess make plenty backups first so you can safely reinstall windows in case things went wrong.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

pedroabreu77

Nah!, this is just an old netbook that I want to make use of and it runs on XP.

It's not worth the headache of fiddling around with the registry.

I've found out that Milky and Schism fit nicely though.

Nevertheless, thank you for all the suggestions :-)