OpenMPT logo and icon redesign (was: Some custom MPT icons I made)

Started by Midori Mizuno, September 07, 2017, 22:43:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Yes, it's definitely better now, but I think making it just a little bit brighter would help it. If it looks to different, we can still use this version.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ellobo

manx

Quote from: ellobo on January 12, 2018, 23:21:26
I tried to upload it but the display is way off so I'm going to email it to manx and Saga Musix. Hopefully they will be willing to post it for me.

Sorry for the huge delay. We were both kind of busy.

The forum is now reconfigured to directly allow .svg uploads.

manx

Quote from: manx on January 26, 2018, 09:22:20
Quote from: ellobo on January 12, 2018, 23:21:26
I tried to upload it but the display is way off so I'm going to email it to manx and Saga Musix. Hopefully they will be willing to post it for me.
Sorry for the huge delay. We were both kind of busy.
The forum is now reconfigured to directly allow .svg uploads.
Seems like we still cannot show svg graphics inline though :(.

ellobo

Sorry about the massive delay. I've been drowning in work with another project. I finally found some time though to try out the wav snare for the about screen and I'm surprised how good it looks. I still think it should be for the about screen only and not for the splash screen but I like how it came out. I also updated the smaller icons so now the colors are even brighter, in case you need it. Let me know what you think.

Saga Musix

Thanks for the update! The small icons are definitely much better now, so I think we should keep them like that.
However, I have to say I don't like the "simplified" waveform at all - the lines just seem too busy and random, rather than looking like a waveform at all. I have attached two alternative ideas, let me know what you think about them. If nothing works out, we will just have to use the same version for the About dialog as for the splash screen.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

The text in the 2nd idea really washes out with the waveform. I think if the color of the waveform should change, or the letters should have a black outline. If the text gets an outline, the logo probably needs it too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

The sketches were just regarding image elements and positioning - not how to resolve conflicts between the image elements. I am sure ellobo can figure that out on his own.

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

ellobo

What do you think about this for the about screen?

Midori Mizuno

This is really pretty if you ask me n_n
Only thing i could posibly nitpick on is that the brightness of the logotype could be raised a bit to make it a tad more contrasted with the background

Saga Musix

Yes, now we're really getting somewhere! I think the waveform adds a lot and looks great. I'd also probably increase the brightness of both the waveform and the grey part of the logo just a little bit to see if it's any better.

LPChip

I like it too. I do like how nearly invisible the waveform is though, so to my taste it would not need to be brighter. But on systems that don't have a high contrast ratio, that waveform would probably vanish, and for that reason, and that reason alone, looking to increase its brightness just a little bit might be a good idea. But I would definitely increase the brightness of the letters by the same amount. So probably a brightness/contrast on the entire logo would be what I'd do.

ellobo

I made the grey color lighter. Note that if this is the color we go with, we need to change the color on everything else. It's not really a problem though. I made the waveform brighter as well. I personally think it looks better when it's darker but I'll let you be the judge of that.