Passing midi messages from one vst to another

Started by Exhale, February 20, 2017, 15:41:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Exhale

I have been searching and searching for the conditions under which this works:
you send a midi message to 1 vst or vsti and it adds messages to the midi, then you send those new messages to a new vsti so that it can render them... I have done this in the past, but I have forgotten under what conditions it works and have been searching for hours now... the instructions seem to say the vsti should be under the initial vst or vsti which is editing the midi messages on the plugin list, but it doesnt seem to work...
The example I am playing with starts with randomid vsti and I just tried to send it to polyslop as a test but nothing is going through.
What am I missing?
I am sure I will kick myself, but yeah I need to get the hang of this.
I think plugins like this are generally called arpegiators, but I admit I barely ever use them & now want to start using them more.

Saga Musix

Sending MIDI from one plugin to another works the same way as sending audio, you set the target plugin in the "output to" field. If that doesn't work, the source plugin doesn't send out MIDI messages.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

Quote from: Saga Musix on February 20, 2017, 15:44:07
Sending MIDI from one plugin to another works the same way as sending audio, you set the target plugin in the "output to" field. If that doesn't work, the source plugin doesn't send out MIDI messages.

ok thanks, I am going to try other arpegiators and see if those work - ok bluearp works the way I expected it to... obviously randomid just doesnt send midi :P damn and it tells me it is too.

Saga Musix

The plugin in question sends malformed MIDI messages back to the host. They could probably be fixed, I'll look into it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

Quote from: Saga Musix on February 20, 2017, 16:03:27
The plugin in question sends malformed MIDI messages back to the host. They could probably be fixed, I'll look into it.
Awesome, I thought there was something going on ^_^ much appreciated

Saga Musix

r7663 (soon available from https://buildbot.openmpt.org/) fixes the problem with randomid by ignoring VST MIDI event size, no longer trusting the size claimed by the plugin.

Exhale

Epic, thank you on behalf of anyone else who will be using it too, amazing response.