I luv MPT!

Started by Louigi Verona, May 18, 2006, 08:12:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Let us write our cheesy and not cheesy praise to MPT in this topic.

I personally always loved MPT. I think it is one of the finest pieces of software ever developed on our blue planet. actually, I doubt that somewhere in our galaxy there is a better prog to make tracked music. Or in our Universe!!!  :wink:

Also, MPT can be used:
-as a notepad.
-as a prog just to hang around in.
-as a substitute for excel tables.
-as something you can draw pictures in(either in patterns with notes or with the volume envelope).

In conclusion I can say that if I would have a choice of 10000000000000$ and MPT, I would certainly choose the money. Why? Well, I have MPT already. Don't you?

rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

I love MPT because without it I would never have experienced the wonderful humour of Louigi Verona.

KrazyKatz

MPT = Super cool.

Why?

Because.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

LOL @ money joke! :)

I think MPT is the best because it has the best and easiest interface there can be. Learning MPT is far easier than any other program, but those easy to learn programs don't have all the extensive features MPT has.

AMEN! :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

I love working with MPT (OMPT even more), because, besides the clear and logical interface, it is very flexible.
One can use it to create a new, complex, sample of 3 seconds, or a full compo of 12 minutes.

Matt Hartman

I like it because it's one tool that doesn't get in your way to somehow trip you. It seems to stand up to anything in a very matter of fact way.

Granted, it's not much for idle conversation. But it sure can be one hell of a centerpiece, can't it?

However, MPT is not the gift here. Only the wrapping.
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

Louigi Verona

but still. MPT pawns. it rocks like a stone. it's there. it's here. it's everywhere.
i'm glad everyone gives me this chance of being emotional (and silly) over MPT.

But basically, you may not know that MPT stands for Morning Phase of Tranquility and not Mod Plug Tracker. And you, of course, understand that MPT rocks much more in it's tranquility sence rather then in it's tracker meaning. So my pathos is quite understandable, is it not?

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"... is quite understandable, is it not?

Not really? :nuts: :lol:

The nuts smily will be added soon. I forgot that I once added it to my clansite. I can add it easilly.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Matt Hartman

You know, I'm always pleased to relate the greatness of the MPT tradition, and now it's acclaimed spawn child, Open MPT. And what'a kid, eh?

I've used several other trackers including OctaMed when it was strictly Amiga based. (Yeah, the real old skool here)

I really like the sound engine in Renoise.

But there's just something about MPT that keeps me coming back to it over the other trackers.

Yes, it has a simple and straight forward windows based interface. Though it leaves a lot to be desired visually speaking, it's this fact that doesn't get in the way like other interfaces tend to with other trackers. It's definitely not a distraction. And it's certainly ergonomic, which translates as productivity in my mind.

There's another reason I like MPT has superior potential to blow the others out of the binary waters:

Though the project itself is on a small scale, the program continues to grow into wide proportions. Not that the other trackers don't offer growth and support, but I think the other trackers are trying to compete on a bigger scale with programs like Cubase for instance. Especially visually.

I don't see MPT in this class. In fact I see it in a class of it's own.
MPT is a compilation of many trackers, taking the best features and centralizing on getting the job done instead of being pretentiously bigger than it is in reality. In this light, MPT is a true promise and gives the user the sky as a limit. The beauty of it is that MPT has always been this way from the get-go.

Impulse tracker was way too DOS for my personal liking. Though it was bare bones, the interface threw me off as I'm generally not a analytical thinker. I wanted the challenge to be in composing music, not learning how to code hex.

Yet, many trackers are and that's why I think Impulse tracker had/has a huge following. It was a way to mix composing music and composing code.

The MPT community is incomparable. It's very approachable and it comes together to figure out how we can present more challenges for the platform based on new and existing ways of composing music.

When I think of MPT and Open MPT I think of the word, "productivity". Because that's exactly what it offers, nothing more and nothing less.
As far as I can see, that is the definition of a great tool and the main reason why I keep coming back to Open MPT.

I would be rather skeptical of those who actually have experimented with MPT and find a legitimate reason not to like it. Shortcut keys are a very mute point in my opinion and certainly not a valid reason to drop it in favor of outdated tools.

MPT has become open source. Amazing new ideas are being implemented with a degree of high success. In parallel, when one also opens their mind, amazing insights come into existence, success flocks to you.
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

apple-joe

For some reason I haven't thought that much about it lately, but I seem to have the version 1.09 of MPT. I've got to check what the latest version is. Anyway, the newest version compared to the one I have used until now (I think I'll have to check out the most up to date version) - does it contain many features which 1.09 lacks? I got to admit that I don't there is anything about 1.09 that I am unhappy about really. If anything, it's the samples I have used, but that's irrelevant to the tracker itself.

I have checked out MadTracker, and it was unusual in the beginning, but I'm learning it. Praise diversity. I am checking out Renoise these days. Yet, I'll never leave MPT as it's the application I've 'always' used - I once found it and liked it. Especially because of the recent posts about Open MPT I think I'll have to check it out. Quite silly that I've not thought about the version, but I have focused on my composing, I think, as opposed to 'problems' about the tracker. I haven't even used VSTs in MPT yet, only in MadTracker and Renoise. Allright, time to explore.

LPChip

Quote from: "apple-joe"For some reason I haven't thought that much about it lately, but I seem to have the version 1.09 of MPT. I've got to check what the latest version is. Anyway, the newest version compared to the one I have used until now (I think I'll have to check out the most up to date version) - does it contain many features which 1.09 lacks? I got to admit that I don't there is anything about 1.09 that I am unhappy about really. If anything, it's the samples I have used, but that's irrelevant to the tracker itself.

I have checked out MadTracker, and it was unusual in the beginning, but I'm learning it. Praise diversity. I am checking out Renoise these days. Yet, I'll never leave MPT as it's the application I've 'always' used - I once found it and liked it. Especially because of the recent posts about Open MPT I think I'll have to check it out. Quite silly that I've not thought about the version, but I have focused on my composing, I think, as opposed to 'problems' about the tracker. I haven't even used VSTs in MPT yet, only in MadTracker and Renoise. Allright, time to explore.

Version 1.09 :shock: OMG... Dude, you'd better upgrade. even the old mpt has a 1.16 version which was a major improvement over 1.09. OpenMPT is way beyond what 1.16 offered. For instance, XP style support, so no more oldskool windows look, which in my case gets my creativeness flowing. Way too many new features were added.

apple-joe

Just checked it out. Haven't read any help files yet, but some keys were obviously changed.

SHIFT+Arrows didn't let me mark/unmark parts. Besides, I loaded a VST plug-in, but I couldn't make it appear in the instrument list (of pattern editor) from which I choose instruments before adding notes. Yet, I liked the look and I'll have to explore this.

Snu

Quote from: "apple-joe"Just checked it out. Haven't read any help files yet, but some keys were obviously changed.

SHIFT+Arrows didn't let me mark/unmark parts. Besides, I loaded a VST plug-in, but I couldn't make it appear in the instrument list (of pattern editor) from which I choose instruments before adding notes. Yet, I liked the look and I'll have to explore this.

the keys are fully configurable in openmpt, so you should be able to revert it to its original behavior if you wish.  to make a vsti show up as a standard instrument, you have to load it, then in the instrument tab set the 'plugin/midi' of an instrument to it, then set the 'midi/vsti channel' to a number.  after this it should work as a standard instrument.

apple-joe

OK, I'll have a look, great, thank you.