choosing tracker! help! 3 years of searching...

Started by l8, May 17, 2006, 16:13:50

Previous topic - Next topic

l8

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"My choice is ModPlug Tracker, possibly because I've grown accustomed to it. You could also check out BeRoTracker, I haven't used it myself but the feature list looks nice and it has one of the best slogans ever: BeRoTracker - The future has you

interesting tracker..but still in early alpha..
nothing here-

Louigi Verona

I've never used OMPT. But I do use MPT and I think it's the best tracker programm in the multiuniverse. It has no bugs, at least during many years of me using it - I've never encountered any. It has a great interface, customizable. It plays many formats and saves to mod,xm,s3m,it,wav,mp3. What else do you need? VST support is there, plugins and stuff. Even sf2.

Hehe. MPT is da best choice, m a n.

apple-joe

I'd check out both Modplug and MadTracker. I've used Modplug most, but I have recently experimented with Madtracker for the sake of diversity.

Yet, there is one fact I can't deny, and it says that MadTracker has crashed a few times, while Modplug has never crashed. Probably says something about CPU usage. Still, I'm gonna keep on using MadTracker and compare the two of them.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"I've never used OMPT.
You should give it a try, it has some nice new features that you'll love even if you only use it to make chiptunes.

Louigi Verona

georg

I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

l8

Quote from: "georg"Milky Tracker

http://www.milkytracker.net/
just download it. i am not a FT2 fan, but looks nice. hm..very nice..
nothing here-

l8

by the way...
from bero tracker forum. quote:

"MPT lacks of features that BRT has exclusively
You are with BRT on the safe side. BRT is fully (99,99%) compatible to old tracker formats (where MPT lacks)."

phrase by bero developer. m? what do you think about it?

seems to be rave? mpt not compatible with mod/s3m?
nothing here-

LPChip

Quote from: "l8"by the way...

You are with BRT on the safe side. BRT is fully (99,99%) compatible to old tracker formats (where MPT lacks)."

No, he refers to the fact that MPT has ported IT's capabilities beyond what IT could do, where he remained with what IT used to be. In other words, he kept IT files etc, limited to their original intentions.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"

No, he refers to the fact that MPT has ported IT's capabilities beyond what IT could do, where he remained with what IT used to be. In other words, he kept IT files etc, limited to their original intentions.

No, he refers to the fact that MPT in odd cases doesn't necessarily replay a tracker specific file exactly like the original tracker would. To me that is not important at all, but it seems to be a big deal to BeRo. ;)

EDIT: Spellnig and grammer. Aded smily.

PPH

I recommend ModPlug tracker, here's why:

For electronic music, Buzz and Psycle seem great, because they are synth oriented. But I don't make much electronic music, and when I do, I can always use VSTis. Besides, Buzz and Psycle are barely usable. I learned to use buzz, but it was painful wo work with it.

Renoise is great, but it takes ages to start, ages to load a module, you can't load two modules, it's not confortable to enter notes. Why? Because it has that awful thing that, if you keep the key down, it will keep inserting notes. So, you slow down the key entry rate to avoid inserting notes accidentaly, and then the process of entering notes becomes slow. VST support is excellent, and so is automation. These were the main reasons I tried to start using it, because MPT's VST support wasn't good. But I still couldn't track as confortably as with MPT. Renoise is not agile. I can' track fast with Renoise. Besides of the key thing, it's difficult to make selecting blocks by using just the keys, which is really easy with MPT. So, when MPT improved VST support, I jumped back to it, and I'm really happy with it.

Madtracker, I fiddled a little with it, seems nice. I never completed a track with it, as opposed to Renoise, and I still think Renoise is my second choice. Yet, Madtracker is lighter, more similar to MPT, I think.

Skale has a terrible interface (pretty, but highly unusable) and version is not even 1.0, I think.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

rewbs

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "LPChip"

No, he refers to the fact that MPT in odd cases necessarily replay an tracker specific file exactly like the original tracker would. To me that is not important at all, but it seems to be a big deal to BeRo.

That's right, there's a collection of example tracks containing very specific uses of certain IT effects (such as nested loops and particular combinations and sequences of pitch/volume effects) that can be used to test how hardcore a player's compatibility with IT2 is. BRT's playback is closer to IT2 on these tests than MPT. I'll dig up a link to the tests so you can see for yourself (but knowing Bero, he'll probably find this thread and post the link before I do :) ).

Edit - here it is: http://bero.freqvibez.net/BeRoTracker/ImpulseTrackerReplayerRulesAbuseTests/abuse.zip