choosing tracker! help! 3 years of searching...

Started by l8, May 17, 2006, 16:13:50

Previous topic - Next topic

l8

first of all i want to sorry for really very bad english. i hope you understand me.

many times ago i was a big fan of Impulse Tracker 2, but now days i can`t use it fully in Windows 2000/XP (vdmsound gives latency and lags keyboard "strokes", i dont like this at all). emulation is bad....

2-3 years of searching right tracker....i cant deside what tracker to use....

renoise - modern tracker /w VST/VSti  support, Asio support,  but it is resource hungry and have many-many bugs in oldchool effects (mod/it/xm) interpritation, very slow loading not-native formats -

skale - only for Fast Tracker II fans. slow development. -

psycle/buzz - i dont like conception on these programs absolutely, cause they "no-trackers" -

schism
- seems to be the best choice - original IT interface and Modplug audio engine, but it is very buggy under Windows. text mode - means less channel information. weird output sound, when rendering to wave. the worst sonogram in comparition with modern trackers (in other words "flat sound")

revisit
- very alpha, and we need to install heavy host-applications like cubase, nuendo

modplug?
last chance? i dont have enough time to play with it, cause i found it very late:)  but in quick breef - it seems that  it has poor automation (compared to renoise for example), some bugs (but situation is better that in schism tracker). i like the idea of fully cusmisation interface..

maybe you have some thoughts connected with that problem...
nothing here-

speed-goddamn-focus

My choice is ModPlug Tracker, possibly because I've grown accustomed to it. You could also check out BeRoTracker, I haven't used it myself but the feature list looks nice and it has one of the best slogans ever: BeRoTracker - The future has you

rewbs

I think you should give Psycle another chance. It definitely has the heart and soul of a tracker, and graphical audio routing is very powerful.

l8

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"My choice is ModPlug Tracker, possibly because I've grown accustomed to it. You could also check out BeRoTracker, I haven't used it myself but the feature list looks nice and it has one of the best slogans ever: BeRoTracker - The future has you

it is still very buggy...and slaggish..
nothing here-

l8

Quote from: "rewbs"I think you should give Psycle another chance. It definitely has the heart and soul of a tracker, and graphical audio routing is very powerful.
hm...funny you advice me psycle, not modplug (and you are site admin:))
nothing here-

Diamond

You could try MadTracker.
http://www.madtracker.org/main.php
It's sluggish at startup and it's also a bit CPU hungry, but it has a nice feature set.  I personally think that the future is with MPT.  Although my opinion might be somewhat biased.

l8

Quote from: "Diamond"You could try MadTracker.
It's sluggish at startup and it's also a bit CPU hungry, but it has a nice feature set.  I personally think that the future is with MPT.  Although my opinion might be somewhat biased.
i forgot to say that i tried it already. i dont like it...yes cpu hungry, asio problems, and more more more..
i think modplug is the best classic tracker..but stillnot perfect, as was impulse tracker, the most convinient tracker in the world:)
nothing here-

LPChip

Lets do it properly! :)

I'd suggest Modplug Tracker! :)

I've personally made an Impulse Tracker key presets file which include ALL keyboard shortcuts that were in IT. even the old alt-c alt-p alt-m copy paste mix keys are there. Also navigation will become how IT was.

Benefits: good accurate playback of tracks, not cpu intense, ability to grow beyond what IT offered, virtually no bugs, and if they are there, report it to us, and we'll try to fix it. Also possible to get features in it by requesting, but no guarantee they'll be added.

It is a clean and easy interface that looks like any windows application. Its there where modplug's true power is. You have all the overview, plus all the advanced stuff that is there. The soundquality (although not the best) is far better than in the original Impulse Tracker. Support for most sound configurations, which should allow you to run the tracker without problems.

And last but certainly not least, we offer the best community there can be for a tracker :) Very good and friendly people with lots of knowledge:)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Diamond

Quote from: "l8"
Quote from: "Diamond"You could try MadTracker.
i forgot to say that i tried it already. i dont like it...yes cpu hungry, asio problems, and more more more..
i think modplug is the best classic tracker..but stillnot perfect, as was impulse tracker, the most convinient tracker in the world:)

Yes, but Modplug Tracker is still being updated semi-regularly and as was previously stated suggestions for new features and improvements are always welcome if not necessarily always implemented.  Also, you might want to take a look at the "To Do" list here:
http://soal.org/expMPT/1.17RC2/OMPT_1.17RC2_ReleaseNotes.html

Sam_Zen

Right on, LPChip !
I can hardly give advise about this, because I use MPT since ver 1.06, and now of course OMPT, and I never had any
reason to look for something else.

2 l8
Quality has its price. One has to put effort and time to get familiar with an application, as you surely did too, when you started with Impulse Tracker. I started with FastTracker, another way to find ModPlug. So again it took some time to get familiar with the new tool, but it's worth it.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"And last but certainly not least, we offer the best community there can be for a tracker :) Very good and friendly people with lots of knowledge:)
Do you have a link for that community? I've been looking for a place like that for ages.

LPChip

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"
Quote from: "LPChip"And last but certainly not least, we offer the best community there can be for a tracker :) Very good and friendly people with lots of knowledge:)
Do you have a link for that community? I've been looking for a place like that for ages.

Sure: http://lpchip.com/modplug ;)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"

Sure: http://lpchip.com/modplug ;)

It seems to be down.  :cry:

Squirrel Havoc

How can no-one suggest MadTracker? Or did I miss it? It's shareware, and kinda expensive if you pay for it, but I think it's an awesome companion to MPT, just pick the one that fits what you want to do
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

l8

I'd suggest Modplug Tracker! :)

I've personally made an Impulse Tracker key presets file which include ALL keyboard shortcuts that were in IT. even the old alt-c alt-p alt-m copy paste mix keys are there. Also navigation will become how IT was.

i`ve do it yesterday too:) but not all things can be "hot-keyed" in the same manner like in IT.

Also possible to get features in it by requesting, but no guarantee they'll be added.
i`ll try to make list of needed stuff. :)
nothing here-