Time-stretched samples while pitching

Started by wiltheson, June 15, 2016, 18:05:30

Previous topic - Next topic

wiltheson

Hey, I've been using OpenMPT casually for about 1-2 months now, and one thing has been bugging me.

Whenever I tune a sample it will shorten or extend the sample length, which can sometimes be cool, but also can be kind of annoying depending on how low or high i want to pitch the sample.

Is there anyway to maintain the length of the sample and tune it/pitch it in the pattern editor in OpenMPT? I've noticed that some other programs can do it kind of automatically.

Thanks for any help!!

Saga Musix

No, you will have to create a time-stretched copy of the sample.
It is mathematically impossible to perfectly pitch-shift a sample while retaining its length (plus the better algorithms, which can produce somewhat listenable results, are computationally very expensive, and/or incompatible with OpenMPT's license), hence OpenMPT will never do this automatically.
The real answer is to use multi-sampled instruments or using synthesizers (i.e. VSTis).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.