A few pattern detail questions

Started by candles, February 18, 2016, 20:31:00

Previous topic - Next topic

candles

I have a few questions related to the pattern detail levels.

The simplest - is it still the case that there are no keyboard hotkeys for the low / medium / high pattern detail buttons?  Can only I still only change that with the mouse?

Second - currently it seems like when I open a file, it's always set to pattern detail high, even if I have some other file already open that is set to a lower detail level, and even if the new file I'm opening was in a lower pattern detail level when I closed it.  So there's no way for me to avoid having to click the mouse every single time I open a file if I don't want to be working in pattern detail high.

The combination of these two things makes the pattern detail level feature significantly more cumbersome for me to use.

One final question - any chance of implementing a custom pattern detail view that can scan a given channel and set it, on a per channel basis, to low / medium / high pattern detail view depending on if it has any volume or effects data?  It's not at all unusual to have a song where certain channels only ever have note data, or just note and volume data, and in those cases you'd end up with a view that was considerable more compact than the default high detail view while still letting you see at a glance what the effects were doing.

Thanks for all your awesome work on OpenMPT, by the way! 

Saga Musix

Quote from: candles on February 18, 2016, 20:31:00
The simplest - is it still the case that there are no keyboard hotkeys for the low / medium / high pattern detail buttons?  Can only I still only change that with the mouse?
Currently not. Would be easy enough to handle, but as you mention it's only one out of many problems. I considered changing the pattern detail system so that you could individually toggle note+instrument, volume and effect columns (since often you'd rather want to hide the volume column and not the effect column), but that was way back in 2009 when I wasn't very experienced with the OpenMPT code yet, so it eventually didn't happen. I could probably implement it now, but there are more pressing issues that I'd like to tackle first.

Quote from: candles on February 18, 2016, 20:31:00Second - currently it seems like when I open a file, it's always set to pattern detail high, even if I have some other file already open that is set to a lower detail level, and even if the new file I'm opening was in a lower pattern detail level when I closed it.  So there's no way for me to avoid having to click the mouse every single time I open a file if I don't want to be working in pattern detail high.
Indeed, pattern detail level is per-document and not remembered. It should probably be made part of the "remember each song's window positions" setting.

Quote from: candles on February 18, 2016, 20:31:00One final question - any chance of implementing a custom pattern detail view that can scan a given channel and set it, on a per channel basis, to low / medium / high pattern detail view depending on if it has any volume or effects data?  It's not at all unusual to have a song where certain channels only ever have note data, or just note and volume data, and in those cases you'd end up with a view that was considerable more compact than the default high detail view while still letting you see at a glance what the effects were doing.
For the same reasons as above this is probably not going to happen anytime soon. First, I'd want to implement pinned channels and then maybe expand from there to also remove individual columns.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.