Midi mapping dialogue

Started by tirinin, June 09, 2015, 23:22:33

Previous topic - Next topic

tirinin

I can understand which is the use of the midi mapping dialogue and  how to use it
Perhaps  to send  Midi messages  from an external midi keyboard?  Perhaps to replace de Macros dialogue ? replacing the assignment of parameters . To have in one dialogue box a summary of all midi messages
I have read the help in OHM and help on line  etc.   I  only find: this purpose  " MIDI Mapping allows you to map certain incoming MIDI messages to plugin parameter changes" that I don't understand how etc.... .  I understand and use the Midi Macros dialogue and other features about  plugins  in OMPT
I think that several example  using  it, could be a good workaround to understand it
Any help would be very appreciated
Thanks in advance   

Saga Musix

MIDI Mapping is mostly used for realtime editing, for example if you want to control plugin parameter x by turning knob y on a MIDI controller. This can either be used in a live performance setup by just manipulating the plugin parameter, or also just during editing by directly writing these parameter changes to the pattern editor.

PS: Please stop using the OHM, it's not been updated in several years and all the relevant content can be found in the manual that ships with OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

tirinin

Thanks for the answer I'm not an expert but  I use plugins in OMPT in many ways  and I am satisfied  but I want to learn more.
You say:. "if you want to control plugin parameter x by turning knob y on a MIDI  controller"  and I'm  figuring  this means : I have in a song   notes with a vsti a Macro with a parameter with given values \xx  and while   the song  is playing  i turn a knob  in the GUI corresponding  this parameter (i'm using Midi learn or record param or  Visualize effect etc )
  But inmediately  i change  my way of thinking and I think :  It means that  I don't must turn the knob and i must change things within the  MIDI  Mapping dialogue if so   How can i do this ? MIDI Mapping dialogue has only Control Change  and his  parameters  so perhaps I have to select a Controller, a Plugin a Parameter and click to the Add button and Close and what i have selected is automatically written in the Pattern Editor?         
   I had to do another question:  Is the Midi Mapping dialogue offering something interesting different  that is  not offered in other place in  OMPT about plugins or MIDI ? and therefore  is better to forget that MIDI Mapping dialogue exist?

Saga Musix

I think there's a misunderstanding here. I'm not talking about knobs in a VST GUI, but about physical knobs on a physical MIDI controller. This is what MIDI mapping is for - it maps physical MIDI devices to VST parameters. If you don't have a MIDI device, you cannot use the MIDI Mapping feature.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

tirinin

Many thanks for your kindly answer 
I knew that,cause in my olds versions of the program ( I use MPT since 2001 ) this was the purpose , but I was thinking  that in latest versions it has changed

Saga Musix

MIDI Mapping was introduced around 2008 and has never changed its functionality or purpose since then. It has pretty much worked the same way all the time.